Renault Vel Satis 3.0 Dv6 Initiale 3.0 Ltr V6 Diesel - Initiale Reviews

• Reliability

“Hi all. ”

Written on: 26/11/2009

Hi all.

I have had my 3liter V6 diesel Initiale Vel Satis for 2 years now - Confort-wise it is brilliant - an absolute palace to drive in.
The electronics are horrible - I have stopped counting the amount of times the screen has booted for no reason.
The mecanics are horrible as well. My car has 100,000km, and the engine is dead (head gasket) Apparently the 3.0V6 Isuzu engine has big issues (overheating problems mainly). If you have this engine, go to Renault immediately and get it fixed -… Read Full Review

“While there is no way I would or could have bought my...”

Written on: 20/09/2009

While there is no way I would or could have bought my 2005 Renault Vel Satis V6 Diesel Privilige new, for £6000 with 28,000 miles on the clock it is worth every penny. It is comfortable, smooth, quiet and economical and best of all rare. With careful driving 44mpg is easy and you are travelling in style for the price of a city car. Any downside? Well Renault electrics are a known problem, so fingers crossed and I will just have to wait and see.
I would recommend the car to others if that is… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 30/05/2011

Hi, Im about to buy this car. Could you advise? How happy are you after a period of time with this limo? thanks

“Bought my Renault Vel Satis 3.0 6 years old looking as...”

Written on: 08/06/2009

Bought my Renault Vel Satis 3.0 6 years old looking as new, top of the range (Initiale) 3.0 litre diesel. I love it! Loads of space and comfort, I've driven for 6 hours straight and felt absolutely fine at the end of it, lots of tricks and refinement and I paid a pittance! Just £4k for a 40k miles sedan with this amount of luxury - let others lose the depreciation money - that's a given with big French cars!
I get 35mpg (overall) and could get more.

“The most comfy car I have ever encountered, it's more...”

Written on: 12/08/2008 by rocky1948 (1 review written)

The most comfy car I have ever encountered, it's more comfy than my sofa. This car is a real head turner, a great conversation piece. I believe someone should start a Vel Satis owners club I would join… Read Full Review

“The Renault Vel Satis is a hell of a lot of car for...”

Written on: 03/06/2008

The Renault Vel Satis is a hell of a lot of car for the money (values now in freefall, even though it's under 190g CO2), fool the neighbours into thinking you are royalty… Read Full Review

“I have done 95,000 miles in 02 registered Renault Vel...”

Written on: 01/05/2008 by moorside (1 review written)

I have done 95,000 miles in 02 registered Renault Vel Satis 3.0 diesel, bought at 6 months old. An intermittent "rattle" or quiet "grating" sound has developed at low revs/speeds that is not the engine or gearbox and Renault are not sure of the cause: may be "mechanism for the A.C." Obviously they have no idea, It is not getting worse and I await developments. Otherwise very few problems over 5 years. Any suggestions? Has anybody else experience of this car over 100,000 miles?… Read Full Review

379524_Wallacejim's Response to moorside's Review

Written on: 04/07/2008

After 40,000miles on 2003 Vel Satis, I find V6 engine now requires replacement, due to porous block. No help from Renault as outside 3 year warranty period.

“Beautiful interior. Lovely drive. Wife gets 31-35mph...”

Written on: 05/03/2007 by khyber pass (1 review written)

Beautiful interior. Lovely drive. Wife gets 31-35mph so not bad.
It's not a Jag (I drive a XJ as my works car) or a Mercedes, but it is massive step up from most cars on the road.
If only it didn't eat tyres… Read Full Review

“If you have read the other review posted here I can...”

Written on: 12/06/2006 by saulkitchen (1 review written)

If you have read the other review posted here I can say that I have had none of those problems with my Renault Vel Satis, however I didn't have it from new. My tyres wear as well as I could expect, but they are eye wateringly expensive 18" high load Michelins. Perhaps the geometry needs careful checking on these cars. Only fault that developed during my ownership so far was a wheel bearing, this got fixed under warranty, but beware as rear wheel bearing is also rear disk! I would recommend… Read Full Review

“This Renault Vel Satis was a 3 year contract hire that...”

Written on: 25/05/2006 by Andy1705 (1 review written)

This Renault Vel Satis was a 3 year contract hire that I used in my business. Initially it got strange looks, then this moved to admiration and wonder, then we got to pity and feeling sorry for me. A large saloon/estate that is supposed to be Renault's answer to the might of Munich. Sorry but it just doesn't cut it. A £30 K car which in three years is probably worth less than £8k. Continually failed to start, or do anything due to a totally dead electrical system. Often leaving me stranded… Read Full Review

Saulkitchen's Response to Andy1705's Review

Written on: 12/06/2006

Sorry, I haven't had the same experience as you. But then again I kept a car for 6 months that broke down pretty much every week! My Vel Satis has been perfect by comparison.

253732_James Musgrave's Response to Andy1705's Review

Written on: 02/08/2006

40000 miles of trouble free and extremely comfortable motoring with its only needs being as per the service interval. It is a top of range 3.5 litre automatic that gives me 32 / 33 miles ot the gallon on the motorway at 75mp and 19 round the city - I average 24.5 per mile with mixed driving. So sorry that others have had such a bad experience and a pity that Renault didn't realise that they very nearly got a luxury car very right. I am looking to change now but am disappointed by every car I have tried so far apart from the new top end E class: which seems a lot of money for still not quite the same ambiance as my Vel Satis (I also ride a 750 Africa Twin so my driving experience is fairly wide).

Andy1705's Response to Andy1705's Review

Written on: 13/06/2006

Yes I agree - it is purely a matter of opinion and personal experience, I'm glad yours works for you.