Denby Cookware Reviews

Media Gallery for Denby Cookware

Denby Cookware

“Scratched and worn”

Written on: 11/02/2014

Same as other reviewers, bought denby stoneware dinnerware thinking it was a good investment. Turns out we couldn't have been more wrong. The dinner plates arer all scratched from normal dinner knives, i.e. not steak knives. I'm very careful using it and so the damage cannot be from misuse. I'm really disappointed as, like anor reviews, it would be embarrasing to use the plates on a nice occasion with friends as they look so awful. How can plates be made not to withstand blunt knives?… Read Full Review

“DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!”

Written on: 17/11/2013

DENBY ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE! SOLD OUT OF STOCK ITEMS TOO! I too have experienced this problem with the cookware I purchased, received scratched items and plates that looks like seconds. But even worst was their inability to post my order to me or to even contact me of any delay 2 1/2 weeks after my order was placed. No apology was given, and their customer service was absolutely shocking, from the bottom to top management. I was left deflated, both by their lack of customer… Read Full Review

“Denby dinnerware”

Written on: 30/09/2013

We bought our Denby dinnerware for our 25th anniversary in Toronto, Canada - that was 18 years ago. All my plates have scratch marks on them from the cutlery and I have researched how to remove them. Different recommendations from toothpaste, stoneware cleaner, vinegar, etc have come up but NOTHING has worked. We paid good money at the time for a full 12 pce set and I still like it but am embarrassed to use them when having guests because they look bad. We're actually thinking of buying a… Read Full Review

Tammy21's Comment

Written on: 15/11/2013

DENBY ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE!
SOLD OUT OF STOCK ITEMS TOO!
I too have experienced this problem with the cookware I purchased. But even worst was their inability to post my order to me or to even contact me of any delay 2 1/2 weeks after my order was placed. No apology was given, and their customer service was absolutely shocking, from the bottom to top management. I was left deflated, both by their lack of customer service skills their justification of themselves and the boasting of their company. Self recommendation is futile honestly. I am utterly disgusted by Denby UK. It took 4 weeks & 6 lengthy phone calls to receive only part of my order as I was sold out of stock items some of which were gifts. I have lost complete faith in Denby and I have been buying from them for 20+ years which meant nothing to them but they have now lost me, my family & friends as customers! Purchase with caution and at your own risk as they only have a handful of staff operating this large company as I was told by the top boss and their happy to sell out of stock items for weeks after so when you place your order there is no guarantee they even have the items to sell. And don't wait for that apology phone call as it won't happen. Don't expect any compensation, goodwill gestures or replacements either. Never again!

Masdel's Comment

Written on: 15/11/2013

I didn't realize they had gone so far down in reputation. I always thought it was so special to have Denby dishes. I did find a product that actually made my dishes look almost brand new...don't know if you can get in the UK ... it's called BarKeepers Friend - you can get in powder or paste form. The product is also recommended for stainless steel, kitchen sinks, etc

“Denby Knives Dangerous Customer Services Useless”

Written on: 03/07/2013 by kiritical (1 review written)

Bought some kitchen knives - high carbon SS steel. They have not had much wear, and I was cutting some stilton (not the most challenging of kitchen foodstuffs) when the blade snapped completely in two, at the handle. Denby seemed unconcerned about the issue, keep stalling and won't accept that this might just be a serious design flaw. They have changed their design a bit now, but don't say it's because the previous knives were poorly constructed and dangerous. Poor show from what I… Read Full Review

“tumblers changed colour after 1 wash in the dishwasher ”

Written on: 12/05/2013

I bought some purple tumblers from denby after one wash in the dishwasher all the colour had rubbed off and they looked very odd. There were no labels on the product saying they should not go in the dishwasher so i returned the items to denby along with my reciept I was then told by the sales assistant that no replacement could be given as i had damaged the glasses by placing them into the dish washer when i stated there was no label saying it shouldnt go into the dishwasher i was told by this… Read Full Review

“Hot handled teapot”

Written on: 30/03/2013 by Benolliesmum (1 review written)

I have bought the Denby Imperial Blue teapot and was wondering if anybody else has experienced the bottom of the handle becoming really hot. Also I find it very difficult to hold the pot upright when it is full. The handle seems to be at an awkward angle. Any comments would be appreciated… Read Full Review

“Good points- ”

Written on: 01/03/2011

Good points-
*Some beautiful designs

Bad points-
*Seriously over-priced
*Highly visible indentations from circular base on the upsides of the dinner plates in most ranges
*Heavy
*Much variation in finish quality therefore it is essential to hand pick in store - I was sent seconds quality stuff by the Denby online shop
*Poor availabilty means online shopping necessary for some ranges
*Not always well-packed by Denby online shop - I received smashed crockery due to inadequate packaging on my… Read Full Review

“Denby Customer service team is excellent and way...”

Written on: 15/12/2010

Denby Customer service team is excellent and way beyond what you usually experience from a call centre. I had emailed with a problem I had completing my order online and when I rang the call centre (from a different number to the one they held for me so they wouldnt have known it was me from the CLI) soon as I briefly explained my problem they knew who I was, my name etc...

First time i have ever experienced this level of service from a larger company but i guess it is how all good companies… Read Full Review

“We bought Denby Regency Green products; two box sets,...”

Written on: 30/08/2009 by ljwycherley (1 review written)

We bought Denby Regency Green products; two box sets, tea pot, salt and pepper dispensers, gravey boat and saucer, milk jug and sugar bowl with lid. We were delighted to have all matching, items which would be hardwaring, could be used everyday and should last for many years. However after two months we noticed that the glaze appeared to be disintergrating. We complained and sent an item to Denby for inspection and were told that this had occurred as we were using dishwasher tablets rather than… Read Full Review

“I've had my Denby Cookware range for bordering on 15...”

Written on: 10/05/2008 by ChinaQueen (5 reviews written)

I've had my Denby Cookware range for bordering on 15 years now. The dishes are a bit pricey but for the length of use I've had them with now, they are definitely worth it! I don't know if my care has kept them around longer, but I've never washed them in the dishwasher just to preserve their look longer. I've heard of other china, porcelain and stoneware that was "dishwasher" safe and began to wear after use in said washer.

The only real downfall to my dishes is that they just won't break or… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I was bought my Denby Energy Set a couple of months...”

Written on: 03/08/2004 by bobbanana99 (1 review written)

I was bought my Denby Energy Set a couple of months ago - as there were a few sales on, we bought a few items from Fenwicks, some from Browns, and some from the Denby factory shop in York. The set looked great, with a glazed finish on the inside of the bowls, inside of the mugs, top of the plates, etc, and a cream matt finish on the outside of the items.
The set is guaranteed oven, microwave and dishwasher safe, and recommends the Finish liquid, which I duly bought and used.
However, a couple… Read Full Review

Ajgray12's Response to bobbanana99's Review

Written on: 22/09/2004

I sell Denby for a living. I agree with the marking, Energy being the worst of the bunch. It is also caused by a stainless steel sink. The lipstick problem is the first I've ever heard of that! Interesting. "zud" works wonders in the removal of the marks.
<br>The reason I disagree with parts of your review is; You're only describing one specific pattern with one specific problem. Denby is aware of the issue with that pattern. In Canada, we've had our regional rep for Denby ok the return of that pattern so the customer(s) could purchase a new one. Perhaps that could be done for you?
<br>
<br>Go for a shiny, non-matte finish and you'll be pleased for years and years. Denby is the ultimate in stoneware. My pattern still looks brand new after a few years use.
<br>Wishing you luck.
<br>Andrea

Skoupidia's reply to Ajgray12's Comment

Written on: 14/02/2014

Could you please tell us your opinion on Monsoon Veronica dinner set. Just about to by a full range which is a hefty amount and are afraid about all the stories on how the Denby plates get scratches on them. Would really be grateful on some knowledgeable information. Can't afford to pay close to a thousand for a set that gets damaged by knives touching the surface!

Djbethell's Response to bobbanana99's Review

Written on: 30/10/2008

I recently bought Denby's Fire set in Green and Yellow and have noticed (only after a few months use) horrible scratches in the glaze on ALL plates, bowls and mugs. The scratches look like I've taken a diamond cutter to them! Funny thing is, because this set cost so much and I love it so, I've been so, so careful when washing these items up; literally I treat them like babies compared to how I used to treat my Ikea stuff, but still I end up with this horrible scoring on everything. I have rung Denby and they want me to send a piece back to inspect. I've also bought this set across several stores over several months so the bad batch story won't make sense. Now when I think back I remember carefully selecting each piece as I had noticed in store the odd piece with this scoring on. I thought they were flawed pieces but now I'm thinking this is just a really poor high-gloss glaze that Denby should never have thought would be passable. I mean, I bought Denby because it's supposed to be such a long-term item. Man, it sure does cost enough...

281042_Cookie2007's Response to bobbanana99's Review

Written on: 07/03/2007

I totally agree with this review. I&#039;ve also purchased the Denby Energy collection in Canada and I&#039;ve the same problem with the markings. It was very disappointing that after 6 months these dishes were all but ruined. The Bay was very helpful in exchanging my bowls and mugs but now I&#039;m noticing that the plates are getting marked too. I&#039;m currently in the process of returning the entire set so that I can purchase another one.

Breakwater72's Response to bobbanana99's Review

Written on: 30/10/2004

Hi Andrea,
<br>
<br>My fiance and I are creating our gift registry and we are in Canada. I had an experience like the first reviewer, but with Pfaltzgraff, and I don't want to select a Denby pattern that will give me scratched dishes.
<br>
<br>The patterns we like are Smokestone and Drama. Do you have any advice/imput/comments that could help us decide?
<br>Thanks, Marilyn

“We received a number of Denby items as a wedding...”

Written on: 22/12/2003 by spook (48 reviews written)

We received a number of Denby items as a wedding present including a casserole dish, a square pan and some bowls, and so far have been really pleased with the results. The casserole and pan cook the food really evenly, heat up quickly and wash easily. Plus they both look nice enough to serve in. The ranges come in a variety of lovely colours and designs and you're bound to find something to match what you have. My main complaint is that not every store carries the full range so that what… Read Full Review

Bobbanana99's Response to spook's Review

Written on: 03/08/2004

Glad you are happy with yours, my whole set was ruined within 2 months! DO NOT BUY THE ENERGY RANGE!! The matt finish on every single piece was permanently marked by cutlery (or anything that it came in contact with!) which I was told by Denby to remove with an abrasive bathroom cleaner! When I returned a mug for them to inspect they told me that I had a 'faulty batch' funny that, as the range was bought from 3 different department stores and a seconds shop! hmm!!! My cheapie Ikea starter set lasted me 3 years with no problems, the Denby not even three months! Not recommended! Denby acknowledge that the set does mark, but will not admit that its a fault with the range.. you decide!