Junghans Mega Solar Reviews

Junghans Mega Solar - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Junghans Mega Solar

“Buy Cheap Watches”

Written on: 04/04/2014 by Andydaniel (21 reviews written)

It is a good looking watch that uses solar power to charge the battery. This watch is made from very quality material… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“A reliable watch but the strap is poor quality”

Written on: 05/01/2014

I have been delighted over the last 12 months with my watch. Precise styling and highly efficient, especially when it changes time zones without a hitch. The main problem I have is that the rubber strap has split after 12 months use. I had to have a rubber strap as my skin is irritated with metal or leather ones and having paid almost £800 for the watch and strap I am disappointed that I am now unable to wear my watch as I cannot get a replacement rubber strap for it. Why buy a watch… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“long lasting and beautifull”

Written on: 29/09/2013

I bought my Junghans Mega Solar arround 17 years ago. The ceramic strap broke pretty early but the watch is as perfect as new. I can recomend this timepiece to anyone who loves perfection… Read Full Review

“Nice Watch”

Written on: 23/05/2013 by RemusBoganski662 (3 reviews written)

I was give one this by my girlfriend around a year ago, the watch is just stunning, goes well with smart clothing as well as casual, the material is solid and heavy as in really well made, the leather strap is of high quality and you can really smell the leather, the battery apparently has a very long life, 10 years I herd but I don't know that for sure as I haven't had it that long… Read Full Review

“Fantastic watch”

Written on: 24/11/2012 by Themanc26 (1 review written)

I bought my mega solar with a broken leather strap back in 1998 from a friend who'd owned for some time before then. Since then I've hanged the battery once(and the strap obviously) and it still works perfectly. It's kept on the window sill when it's not being worn, so the sun keeps of charged, which isn't very often, special occasions and parties mainly. A good looking time piece that is set to last me some time yet. I have absolutely no regrets… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“Junghans Mega Solar 1997”

Written on: 27/04/2012 by markcogley (1 review written)

I purchased this watch in 1997 with my redundancy money and it is still in perfect working order and mint condition and still in daily use. I have always kept it in the window when not wearing so day light keeps it charged up. And its now 15 Years old and as good as the day I purchased it. no 9148317 What more can I add brilliant ;-)… Read Full Review

“Amazing 1990 or so”

Written on: 20/03/2012 by Whatever101 (1 review written)

I was given my Junghans Mega Solar when I was in my early 20s and it has been amazing for the last 20 years or so! I have had a new battery put in once and also got a new ceramic strap (upgrade from the leather one) by John Vincent. It does seem to stop working every ten years or so, but that's fine with me. The wonderful thing is that you can travel the world and change the hours with a few pushes of the side buttons. I love it!… Read Full Review

Shimbe's Response to Whatever101's Review

Written on: 30/05/2012

Where did you get the battery changed? I have a solar 1 and the rechargable cell won't hold a charge any longer... I'm having a hard time finding one. Can you help?

Guest's Response to Whatever101's Review

Written on: 05/06/2012

Hallo Frauke und Crew,So ab und zu verfolge ich Eure Fahrt-toll was Ihr alles so ebelrt. Man muss jung(juenger )sein um so ein Leben auf Monate mit zu machen.Vor allem wenn es um Regen und Kaelte geht. Brrrrrrr!Wie ich aus dem letzten Brief Deiner Mutti entnahm verfolgt sie euer Project jeden Tag und ist wie ich erstaunt was ihr so alles vor- und schon hinter euch habt. Es freut mich zu lesen das es doch noch totale Natur gibt und das man Fleckchen Erde antrifft auf dem fast keine Menschen zufinden sind. Das muss ganz herrlich sein.In California ist es mehr heiss als uns lieb ist und ich sitze auf meiner Patio erst wenn die Sonne unter gegangen ist. Dann geniese ich meine Blumen Pracht.Ahoi und bleibt Alle gesund, weiterhin alles Gute,Sonja HelmySonja Helmy

Junghans Mega Solar

“Fantastic - while it lasts”

Written on: 24/01/2012 by jdricho47 (3 reviews written)

I purchased my Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic around 2001, I loved it, it did everything I expected, looked good, worked good. BUT: 2010 new rubber inserts needed in the strap - very expensive. 2012, it doesn't work and I find out that there is a common, expensive fault that rears its ugly head at about 8-10 yrs old. Therefore a very nice, but not inexpensive watch, requires costly attention to the strap every 8yrs and even more costly attention to the mechanism every 8-10yrs. This is not what… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to jdricho47's Review

Written on: 28/05/2012

I bought new rubber and fiber straps from Germany and rebuilt the watch band with the original ceramic pieces.
Total cost including delivery $65, not a waist of money for a brilliant watch like this, now it looks like new again.
//Lars

Junghans Mega Solar

“Mechanism needs replacing after 7-10 years!”

Written on: 09/12/2011 by StephenMM (1 review written)

My wife bought this for me as a birthday present about 8 years ago and I was expecting it to last for a long time. Earlier this year it started to lose time, and the shop where we bought it said it needed a new rechargeable battery - costing about 5x what a standard battery would have cost. It ran for two or three months after that and now no more. My wife and I both called Junghans and got the same story: the (presumably extra lightweight) solar mechanism needs replacing AND THIS IS NORMAL… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“I absolutly love it BUT.......”

Written on: 17/09/2011 by EdChed (1 review written)

I got a Mega Solar Ceramic as an engagement present from my wife. After 9 years and it still looks like new. The watch is made from very good quality materials, ceramic body with saphire glass which is why there is not a mark on it. And now for the but... It no longer keeps time and the hands freeze at certain times. Having discussed this with an authorised Junghans repairer, I was advised it is probably the movement worn and will cost £160 to fix. What shocked me more was that they advised it… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“Bought the Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic approx 15 years...”

Written on: 21/05/2011 by BJohnD (1 review written)

Bought the Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic approx 15 years ago as a 'best' watch. I have worn every day since, the strap broke 2 years ago & I had it repaired.
It still looks brand new, altough after 15 years the buttons don't work so well & the date display looks cloudy, so I'll have to send it of to be serviced… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“My Mega Solar ceramic watch has not been reliable. ...”

Written on: 14/03/2011

My Mega Solar ceramic watch has not been reliable. Three problems

1. Ceramic strap broke after 1 month.
2. Date display faulty (went cloudy)after 1 year.
3. The automatic time sychonization failed after 2 years.

I also travel to India a lot and the watch cannot cope with 0.5 hour time zones. Very frustrating.

Overall, an expensive disappointment.

KS… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2011

In India, set it to UK time and wear it upside down

Ulhe's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2013

I bought my Mega Solar Ceramic about 8 years ago. A big disappointment was the fact that the watch was very unreliable e.g.

1. After 6 months the DCF77 sync failed (mermanently)
2. Back from service (had to wait 45 days !) worked for abut 3 months then again unable ty sync.
3. Back from service worked for another 8 months then failed again this time stopped working (repair would cost more than 200 CHF ..

.. had to dispose the watch and bought an inexpensive chinese watch for 5CHF. This one was not very accurate but reliable so far.

Ulrich

Junghans Mega Solar

“I bought my 'Mega Solar' Ceramic watch in 1999. ”

Written on: 14/06/2010

I bought my 'Mega Solar' Ceramic watch in 1999.
It has superb almost date-less styling, and has performed faultlessly over the past ten years.
I have had to return it just once to Junghans, because I forgot to take it off before snorkelling, Deeeeeeer!
The case is original and it still looks brand new. Fantastic watch.

Junghans Mega Solar

“ Looks beutiful, behaves perfectly - not one problem...”

Written on: 08/06/2010

Looks beutiful, behaves perfectly - not one problem in 18 months to date. Keeps time to the second and the materials are first rate. I am a sucker for anything unusual and this is certainly one of those items!
I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“I bought this Junghans Megasolar Watch in 2001. I...”

Written on: 01/01/2010 by magic mike (1 review written)

I bought this Junghans Megasolar Watch in 2001. I always wanted a radio controlled,solar powered watch and this was it! All black, which I thought was rather different,it always looked stylish in a restrained sort of way. In hindsite, I would probably go for stainless steel, as the black finish has been gradually wearing off the strap over the years and rather spoils the 'neat and tidy' impression.The summertime/wintertime automatic change is brilliant because I can never remember which way the… Read Full Review

Junghans Mega Solar

“The Junghans Mega Solar watch is a good looking watch...”

Written on: 04/04/2006 by ERP Guy (30 reviews written)

The Junghans Mega Solar watch is a good looking watch that uses solar power to charge the battery, and updates the time via a radio transmitter in Germany. It changes to and from BST automatically.

Changing time to account for time zones is very simple with the press of a button… Read Full Review

Rpsommers's Response to ERP Guy's Review

Written on: 10/03/2009

I bought this watch (http://www.junghanstime.co.uk/junghansstratoswatches.htm, black face) in Aug 06 (it is now Mar 09) and it is one of the best things I have ever purchased, and I have bought a few nice cars and hifi etc in my time. If you are the kind of person to appreciate quality engineering, you will love this. Mine has never run out of power, although I don't doubt this is possible. What I like about it, in no particular order:
<br/>
<br/>- its looks. understated but sophisticated
<br/>- its robustness; still looks new. Face, body and strap all gleam
<br/>- the feel. Take it off and feel it, it oozes quality
<br/>- its concept. Always right, never needs a battery, never needs to be opened so always waterproof
<br/>- travelling to other timezones preserves the time
<br/>- change to/from summertime and never needing to change the date. The summertime change saved my wife and I from a missed appointment once when we forgot and all our clocks were an hour slow.
<br/>- the build quality. The second hand lines up perfectly with the seconds.
<br/>- its 'honesty' and dependability (I guess you could call it lack of pretentiousness). In a gadget crazed world this does exactly what it is supposed to do and with sublime efficiency, which is kind of refreshing.
<br/>- its price. it's a bargain, likely the only watch you will ever need (I would buy another if it ever failed).
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for reading :-)