Isuzu Trooper 3.5 LS Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Isuzu Trooper 3.5 LS - Ask a question now

“Too bad it doesn't last as good as it looks. I bought...”

Written on: 09/07/2008 by green97tl1000s (1 review written)

Too bad it doesn't last as good as it looks. I bought my 2002 "Pooper" with 70k miles on it for a grand under book. Thought I got a great steal on this gorgeous 4x4. Less than 5 months later, the bottom end failed when the engine used 5 qts of oil in 3000 miles. I spent $4000 to have it completely rebuilt, only to have the engine fail again after 14k miles - this time with a religious history of oil changes with Mobil 1 synthetic. I absolutely could not recommend this vehicle to anyone… Read Full Review

“Our Isuzu Trooper 4x4 has been like a good dog....”

Written on: 05/02/2005 by Al Taloma (1 review written)

Our Isuzu Trooper 4x4 has been like a good dog. Reliable, ever ready, but not without minor faults. If looked after, it can be a car that you will always gage others against. Terrific utility, lots of interior space (coming from a former vw bus person), very durable, with reasonable performance and mileage. Most parts have held up well over the last 17 years, no rust, still original paint, which looks very good still. Have had to fight oil leakage problems, front seal. Also a mystery ailment… Read Full Review

“I am on my 2nd Isuzu Trooper 4x4 and the 4th motor in it. ”

Written on: 08/09/2004 by Eric Bishop (1 review written)

I am on my 2nd Isuzu Trooper 4x4 and the 4th motor in it.

With my first Trooper (1994) I experienced excessive oil consumption; not a leak. I was told it was normal up until the wrist pin(s) failed at about 110K miles. Of course Isuzu would do noting due too mileage. I had had every service per schedule and oil changes every 3,000 to 3500 miles, half the interval required by the owner's manual.

The dealer worked me into a new 99 Trooper and almost immediately the excessive oil usage showed… Read Full Review

“This car is great, it will go alot of places and is a...”

Written on: 21/01/2003 by cole. (1 review written)

This car is great, it will go alot of places and is a great value for the money. I own a 89 trooper and have 31*10.5 tires but stock suspension. It could use more travel and a locker up front and limited slip in the rear… Read Full Review

“The Isuzu Trooper is a Luxury suv. It looks and drives...”

Written on: 27/03/2002 by jason bates. (1 review written)

The Isuzu Trooper is a Luxury suv. It looks and drives great on and off roads and has lots of room and storage. Best suv i have ever owned. If anyone else is having the problems I've mentioned in bad points and knows how to correct them please let me know!!!!!!!… Read Full Review

Cd6020.'s Response to jason bates.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2002

I have a 1994 Trooper with the same issues you mentioned. I've had to have my starter replaced 3 times. The first two times were serviced at PEP Boys. They installed a rebuilt starter which was either bad or not installed properly. The third time, I went to an independent shop which used a brand new one and have'nt had any problems since.
<br>
<br>As for the lifter noise, I noticed it around 65k miles. It would come and go. Still have the problem at 195k miles without any other problems. Its just annoying more than anything else.

56309_Neil.'s Response to jason bates.'s Review

Written on: 06/12/2002

I think the lifter noise is standard issue with the Trooper. When I was researching Trooper before I bought it, I came across a fair amount of postings on boards about the noise. I have been lucky, any noise she does have is soft so it's not really a bother. I do use Mobil One Synthetic oil as did the previous owner. Have you tried the synthetic?
One thing I have noticed about postings on the boards is some people have mentioned their Trooper as a car! Come on people... It's a Trooper, not a Asuna! haha
I love my "truck"!

35875_Rob.'s Response to jason bates.'s Review

Written on: 02/09/2002

I have 210K on my 94 Trooper and it has been pretty darned good to me. I replaced the brake pads the first time at about 150K miles, did the timing belt at 120K then again at about 170 when the timing belt tensioner failed, did my starter at 190, had to replace the whole manual transmission at 200 (ouch), and just replaced the alternator at 208. I have had identical experience on the lifter noise (starting at 50K) and I think that all 94s and 95s have it. Since it burns decent amount of oil, when the lifter noise gets a little louder I know I am a little low... I love that truck, though.