Egg Money Credit Card Reviews

• Customer service

Summary

The Egg Money Credit Card is a popular credit card from Egg that allows consumers to pre-pay on their balance before they start spending. Egg customers can also earn interest on any of their prepayments that don't get spent. With an extremely competitive interest rate of 6.9% APR for consumers who go into the red, it's easy to see why this credit card has been a good fit for so many people. If you have an Egg Money Credit Card then why not share your thoughts and write a review?
Egg Money Credit Card - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Egg Money Credit Card

Egg Money Credit Card
Egg Money Credit Card

“Have used my Egg Money card for over 5 years. I use...”

Written on: 15/09/2010 by KFenton (2 reviews written)

Have used my Egg Money card for over 5 years. I use it for all everyday expenditure ie groceries and petrol and pay the balance off in full each month. They pay a generous 1% cashback which quickly mounts up so you get paid for simply using it and the online statement is itemised so you can keep track on what has been spent on essentials (ie groceries), petrol or household items. I also use it when purchasing online as purchases made using credit cards are guaranteed. Security wise they are… Read Full Review

“I can never criticise anyone who pays me for spending...”

Written on: 23/08/2010

I can never criticise anyone who pays me for spending my own money and that is exactly what my egg money card enables me to do.
I have been highly impressed with egg whose customer service has been excellent. Always been able to get through to a UK call centre without any delays! Replacement cards have always been sent out very quickly and staff have always been more than happy to deal with my requests.

The negatives:
- The small credit limit of £500 isn't enough for me and after several times… Read Full Review

“I've had this card for the past 5 years. Customer...”

Written on: 13/02/2010

I've had this card for the past 5 years. Customer service has been fine. They are usually very quick to send replacement cards and respond to online queries.

The automated phone system sometimes doesn't work so you have to let it try 3 times before putting you through to a human, overall I thought it was ok.

The automated system for calling you and asking about recent transactions is good.

I was in China last year and they never told me the card would be blocked I would have to call them to… Read Full Review

“EGG CARD = ”

Written on: 20/01/2010

EGG CARD =

HASSLE, HASSLE, HASSLE
I HAD A £4000 LIMIT AND USED MY 12 MONTHS 0% BALANCE TRANSFER OFFER TO TRANSFER OTHER
FUNDS. AFTER 2 MONTHS MY LIMIT BALANCE WAS -£4001.07 AND THERE FOR THEY TOLD ME I HAD MISUSED MY LIMIT SO THEY DECIDED TO BLOCK MY CARD, CHARGE ME FOR THIS £16 x 2 AND PUT ALL THE INTEREST ON (OVER £1000). TO TOP THIS OFF THEIR PHONE ACTIVATION IS SO SO SO SO CARP! EGG SORT IT OUT BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE HERE MUCH LONGER IF YOU KEEP TREATING THE PUBLIC. HOPEFULLY YOU… Read Full Review

“Have just applied for this card, as our American...”

Written on: 19/01/2010

Have just applied for this card, as our American express cashback card is not accepted everywhere. The eggmoney card seemed to have the highest cashback for a non amex card.

As far as we are aware our credit rating is excellant. However, when we first applied for this card online, we were rejected without reason. When we enquired why, we were asked to send allsorts of financial documents. We were then subjected to several lengthy telephone calls, were Egg demanded every last detail about our… Read Full Review

“Good: best cashback on the market ”

Written on: 02/10/2009 by indiekid (3 reviews written)

Good: best cashback on the market
Bad: the most appalling customer service you can imagine

Here are the following complaints:

1. My card was fraudulently used - the replacement card had my name mispelt on it.
2. The replacement card supposedly sent never arrived - still waiting 4 weeks later
3. When I complained about the lack of replacement - it was CANCELLED - so that I have to wait even longer
4. I then received another letter - with the original misspelling on it
5. When I called to check… Read Full Review

“Egg used to be a great, innovative and friendly...”

Written on: 03/09/2009

Egg used to be a great, innovative and friendly company who would go that extra mile for your business. Now, they're just another money-hungy corporate monster with terrible customer service and awful products.

They suspended my Egg Card because I made a £1 donation to charity on it, while I was on holiday, and didn't tell me they had done it! When I then phoned them to get the card reactivated, the voice recognition software took 20 minutes to get through (it doesn't give up if it doesn't… Read Full Review

“EGG are withdrawing the 4% interest paid on positive...”

Written on: 23/04/2009 by hingysaid (8 reviews written)

EGG are withdrawing the 4% interest paid on positive balances, and say they will keep the 1% cash back in the mean time (I expect this will be taken away soon though). The interest rate has also been increased recently to 16.9%.

This is no longer the card it was and it's benefits are poor.

“I've had an 'egg money' credit card since it was...”

Written on: 06/09/2008 by hingysaid (8 reviews written)

I've had an 'egg money' credit card since it was launched several years ago. At the time of accepting this credit card, it was without doubt head and shoulders above the competition, as you benefited from no annual fees, a 7.9 APR rate, 1% cashback as standard on all purchases, and up to as much as 10% cashback on specific purchases with specific retailers.
Alas this has all changed..... Egg money always gives a low credit limit in comparison to other lenders, which is not really a worry… Read Full Review

“I've been an EGG Money customer for more that 2 years...”

Written on: 05/08/2008 by martynia (1 review written)

I've been an EGG Money customer for more that 2 years now, 7.9%APR, no fee for cash advances, really good ! Until ... 1.08.2008 when I received an email informing me that the APR goes up to 12.9% for purchases, and to 16.9% for cash advances, effective from 04.08.2008. They kindly ;-) agreed to refund extra costs should I decide to cancel my agreement within a month. I'll definitely do ! Have still to find a friendly place for my debt, though...It's really annoying, their card is now a typical… Read Full Review

“I love my Egg money card. I've had it ever since it...”

Written on: 08/05/2008 by nej1977 (1 review written)

I love my Egg money card. I've had it ever since it was trialled with existing customers and use it for almost all my spending, even for small amounts. The cashback rate has been consistently good for the three years I've had it and the occasional special double cashback offers are a bonus too. The egg website is the best example of online banking I've come across (and I've seen a few!) and being able to manage your PIN online is great. The Money Manager tool is great as it allows you to… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“It usually takes nearly a week to get a proper...”

Written on: 17/04/2008

It usually takes nearly a week to get a proper response from customer service email as the voice recognition on the telephone system sucks.
You can also never reply to an email straight after receiving one as it comes up unable to send please try again,leave it for an hour and then it works… Read Full Review

“Egg Money: not worth the hassle ”

Written on: 20/12/2007 by Gunda (1 review written)

Egg Money: not worth the hassle
If you want to be treated like a child (credit limits), live in fear of blocked payments and account, go for it! - their online banking is not very user friendly
- you cannot move a positive balance from Egg Money to Egg ISA
- their credit limits are very small (I got more as a student!)
- their security policy is madening; larger amounts get blocked; we had to unblock an account phoning the UK from South Africa (and waiting endlessly in the queue); our account… Read Full Review

“Overall good product and reward for using it. One of...”

Written on: 02/09/2006 by sunymuny (5 reviews written)

Overall good product and reward for using it. One of the best cards in market for cash back. Just using it keeps building normal cash back of 1% apart from the special cash back deals online on Egg's website. Customer service is very quick and the best part is being able to send a Secure message for a query so don't have to wait on the phone and stay in queues for the answers to your question… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Despite being a model customer for over two years, Egg...”

Written on: 31/08/2006 by Robby99 (1 review written)

Despite being a model customer for over two years, Egg have just written (August 31 2006) to increase the APR on credit card purchases and balance transfers from 15.9 to 21.9% - up 6%. What that would have been if I had been a poor customer does not bear thinking about! I'm off to another credit card provider. The BT rate is very nice for 6 months, but EGG obviously offer this to suck you in… Read Full Review

Calvin8's Response to Robby99's Review

Written on: 04/05/2007

robby99 is actually talking about the Egg green card, not the Egg money card. The Egg money card is still a competitive 6.9%. Therefore the average ratings for the Egg money card are incorrect.

“I got an Egg Money Credit Card as soon as it was...”

Written on: 24/02/2006 by XX (39 reviews written)

I got an Egg Money Credit Card as soon as it was available. It works just like an ordinary credit card with no annual fee, and normal interest free period, plus they do not charge a fee for cash withdrawals. However, please watch out, as cash advances are not qualified for any interest free period.

So far I am happy… Read Full Review

Xx's Response to XX's Review

Written on: 02/03/2006

The comment I made was about Egg Money credit card, not Egg credit card. They are different products, editor please correct.

Dinglefoot's Response to XX's Review

Written on: 18/02/2008

Best kept credit / debit card secret low interest rates and cash back too I just earnt £100 paid into my bank a/c

Calvin8's Response to XX's Review

Written on: 04/05/2007

In reply to malteseman, if you log on to www.egg.com and look in the top right corner there is a box with links in it, the second one down says "egg money- find out more". click on this link and it will give you all the information you need on the egg money card.

Malteseman's Response to XX's Review

Written on: 30/03/2006

They don't seem to want to mention this card on this site, at 6.9 / 4% its the best on the market. I dont think they get paid to promote it.