Isuzu Trooper 3.1 Duty Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Isuzu Trooper 3.1 Duty - Ask a question now

“Had this work horse for 3 years now and have taken it...”

Written on: 31/12/2010

Had this work horse for 3 years now and have taken it off road, towed 24ft caravan effortlessly, have been as far south as cornwall and up to the scottish highlands all in one day, she had never let me down, even when the alternator belt snapped she still got me home. I would chose a trooper over any other 4x4. As an off road instructor I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who has the intension of towing and a little off roading. Solid trouble free motor that if looked after will go on and… Read Full Review

“The 1997 3.1 swb trooper Duty was my first "proper"...”

Written on: 08/03/2010

The 1997 3.1 swb trooper Duty was my first "proper" 4x4 and I bought it with a view to take it off roading and to take my girlfriend to work on a farm. Apart from replacing the clutch after the first outing its been a truly magnificent machine. My friend has a heavily modified jacked up Landrover defender 90 and I can go anywhere he can with the standard trooper! I have the optional lsd fitted to mine. We also both run 265/75/16 (32") mud tires so that adds around an extra inch of lift (they… Read Full Review

Paulams's Comment

Written on: 18/02/2014

I am currently trying to purchase mud tires for my 1999 4x4 trooper, can't seem to going any in tire size 245/70 r16....Do you have any suggestions? Do you know weekday alternate size I could try that would be suitable mud tires?

“I am looking to swap my Isuzu Trooper 4x4 for a newer...”

Written on: 31/10/2004 by NeilWain (1 review written)

I am looking to swap my Isuzu Trooper 4x4 for a newer model but stopped in my tracks when I get reports of the Isuzu Trooper having engine problems overheating, engine blowing up so I would love to here from any one who has a 3.0 to give me some feed back please
neil_wain@hotmail.com… Read Full Review

197088_Chris Byrne's Response to NeilWain's Review

Written on: 10/06/2005

I would stay well away from the 3 ltr engine model mine has been nothing less than a nightmare and am currently in a legal dispute to sort the problems with it.

220658_Kays's Response to NeilWain's Review

Written on: 12/12/2005

Don't buy one....as previous writer noted nightmare....I have had endless difficulties with mine. Just out of warranty and engine somehow has managed to melt a piston. Its not fixable and a new engine will cost £6000. Car just just over 3 years old, with about 65000 miles on the clock.

209715_Debzcats's Response to NeilWain's Review

Written on: 11/09/2005

As mentioned above, STAY AWAY, I have had the injectors go which cost me £1000 for replacement of 4 inj and seats with a warranty contribution of 25% on top from Isuzu, then the diesel heaters failed which I suppose could be classed as normal wear and tear items, now the engine has developed a clatter which I was informed sounded like the top end so the shims were adjusted by removing and machining then swapping tight for slack etc but the clatter is still there but if anything sound worse. I will not buy another Isuzu and this is my third where the other MK1 and MK2 vehicles are both still on the road. I am at a loss to what this noise is as the vehicle accelerates and drives superbly and does not burn a drop of oil on acceleration or on the overrun. STAY AWAY.

209670_Trepador's Response to NeilWain's Review

Written on: 10/09/2005

All the problems you can imagine had happened to my Isuzu Trooper 3.0 diesel engine. Overheating, fuel in the water system, failing injectors, etc..etc...etc......
<br>Do not even think in buying one.

“I've had 3 Troopers(an '87, '89, and a '90) and all of...”

Written on: 21/06/2003 by Matt. (1 review written)

I've had 3 Troopers(an '87, '89, and a '90) and all of them have served me well even though I saved them from the scrapyard. With a heater core here, a fuel pump there, these vehicles run 750,000 miles easily, and with treir rigid design, these rigs are virtually indestructable… Read Full Review

“Ive owned both Cherokees and Toyotas and they started...”

Written on: 20/04/2003 by Los Manos De Ka-Ka. (1 review written)

Ive owned both Cherokees and Toyotas and they started to cost thousands around 90,000. Except for a water pump, belts, hoses, tires and tune up everything works like new on my Trooper.
To me theres only two things that count value and function. Its very predictable and handles well off road. I like not getting out to lock hubs premier mud snow vehicle using premier Toyo offroad tires with plenty of siping. I can drive on ice that I can't stand up on. The SUVs have unibody construction and… Read Full Review

92038_Tee.'s Response to Los Manos De Ka-Ka.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2003

I've got a really good deal on a 1999 Trooper. I'm looking for something that offers more room for me and my kids. I currently own a 97 Toyota Corolla and I have two car seats in the back. Needless to say there's not a lot of room. I have heard from several people not to purchase a Trooper. None of the people are owners. Their main reason is maintenance. That concerns me because I've never had to put my Corolla in the shop for anthing. I don't have a lot of money to spend on maintenance of a vehicle. When I was told that a tune up could cost hundreds of dollars, I got a little parenoid. I want to hear from an owner their viewpoint. Can someoen comment on reliability, maintenance, etc.

Boots2877's Response to Los Manos De Ka-Ka.'s Review

Written on: 25/01/2004

Any large SUV cost's hundred's of dollars for a tune up. I have a 97 trooper and love it. I have had to change the belts and brakes but I do it all my self. The brakes a soooo easy to replace, the belts I bought my self and went to a shop and a guy put them on for me for 30.00. It has 94000 miles so like any other car it is time to start replacing Items. Gas mileage is a little bit better then most SUV's. I love the look of these troopers, I have just driven mine from N.C to CO to S.D. to WA and it did just fine. So if you want to get an SUV a Trooper is like any other. But if you want a family car I would get a Subaru wagon, 4 wheel drive and run great, with room.
<br>Good Luck

“This is the second Isuzu Trooper I have owned. My...”

Written on: 05/02/2002 by John Wesley. (1 review written)

This is the second Isuzu Trooper I have owned. My experience with the first vehicle was so excellent that I did not hesitate to buy another when the time came. My first Trooper was a 1986 and I drove it for 12 years and racked up 160,000 miles with almost no problems. With that kind of track record it's no surprise I took the plunge again. My newer vehicle (1998) has lots more bells and whistles but I think it's a bit more fragile than the older model. If we could just get this fuel gauge… Read Full Review

13446_Chuck.'s Response to John Wesley.'s Review

Written on: 21/02/2002

this isnt really a review but i am wondering what the 0-60 times are on a 93 isuzu trooper?????????