Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 - Ask a question now

“I am looking to get another Isuzu Trooper after...”

Written on: 23/01/2006 by laparka (1 review written)

I am looking to get another Isuzu Trooper after foolishly selling my 92 cheap. Looking at a 99 Trooper with 60,000 miles (gas), but I am concerned about the oil usage problem the 3.5 has. Talked to the previous owner and he said he has no problems -- Is the oil usage something that sets in at higher miles? or does this one sound safe to buy?… Read Full Review

“I own a 99 Trooper with the 3.5 gas engine. I have...”

Written on: 08/12/2005 by Boy Scout (1 review written)

I own a 99 Trooper with the 3.5 gas engine. I have added Manual Hubs, Calmini Sway bars, Calimini air cleaner, upgraded to 285/75/16 tires,and OME shocks and springs. It performs better than any company vehicle (explorers, Blazers, Sububans, Pick-ups) that I have used off road, and I put about 20 per cent of my mileage in on the dirt on right of ways. It is very comfortable and has never had a mechanical problem only the roof weaknesses I mentioned in bad points. I have even built a… Read Full Review

“I have just got an Isuzu Trooper 98, V6 3 5L. It is...”

Written on: 14/10/2005 by emmanuel1 (1 review written)

I have just got an Isuzu Trooper 98, V6 3 5L. It is very powerful, and I am very happy with it. I will definitely take to some off road trips. It's his domain!!… Read Full Review

“I've got a 98 Trooper with 105,000 miles ten days ago....”

Written on: 02/10/2005 by gabi (1 review written)

I've got a 98 Trooper with 105,000 miles ten days ago. It runs really strong and so far is performing better than expected. I was affraid from buying it because of the reviews about oil usage of the 3.5 engine but so far it is doing really well. We're planning a trip to Boston ( we're from Florida) for christmas with my wife and our three years old boy. This is my first SUV and I can't wait to give it a try in the snow and mud… Read Full Review

“Im now on my third Isuzu Trooper 4x4, the first was an...”

Written on: 05/10/2004 by heay (1 review written)

Im now on my third Isuzu Trooper 4x4, the first was an '87 which was lost in a huricane in NJ after 250,000 miles. My second was an '86 unfoutunatly mother nature took her toll on the body and frame, the motor wouldnt die, with just over 200,000 on the clock when they took it last week. I now drive a '92 which I got as a graduation gift from my father, who knows how many of these trucks he's had, I lost count!, but each one of them had over 200,000 miles on them, I find that compared to the… Read Full Review

“Reliable, comfortable, go-anywhere capability, and...”

Written on: 10/09/2003 by mcasady3 (1 review written)

Reliable, comfortable, go-anywhere capability, and class-leading passenger & cargo capacity. I looked at a number of SUV's for driving here in the Rockies, but the Isuzu Trooper was the best value up front and has been a low maintenance, highly reliable transport, making it through the toughest of blizzards, even when my 4x4 enthusiast, Jeep-driving friends are stuck at home. Loaded with power everything, leather heated seats, heated outside mirrors, 6-CD in-dash changer, and a power moonroof… Read Full Review

“I have a 98 3.5 litre Isuzu Trooper. I'm wondering how...”

Written on: 28/08/2003 by KAOSKB1 (1 review written)

I have a 98 3.5 litre Isuzu Trooper. I'm wondering how many of you fellow Trooper drivers have to add a quart of oil about every 400 miles. I've spoken to a few other owners who say they also have to put in oil all the time. But no one really can tell me how much theirs is really using. I'm really wondering if there is something that needs to be fixed, or just live with it as a Trooper quirk… Read Full Review

Jdm411's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 07/09/2003

Yes the troopers will use oil. The 3.2L is far worse. The problem as it was related to me by the dealer is that there is too much crank pressure and it is caused by the PCV value not working correctly. The oil is then forcing itself around the rings getting burnt up on the piston walls. The dealer was able to fix mine by putting a new upgraded pcv valve, putting in a "Foam" detergent oil for 500 miles and then having me come in and doing a oil change. I've done this now two times and have 4 more visit until the test is over. So far its working. If you drive your trooper on a LONG HAUL you had better check the oil or you will damage the engine..Bottom Line! Take to dealer for fix..I had to apy 200.00 to start the ball in motion but they pay for all oil changes (tests) afterwords.
<br>jim martin
<br>jdm411@yahoo.com

Fojtikdarwin's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 17/02/2005

Change the PCV valve & have an Isuzu tech decarbon the EGR passage from the valve into the plenum.

Tujunga's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 14/09/2004

Beware if you are putting that much oil in it. I hope by now that you still haven't had any major engine problems. We purchased a 99 3.5 Trooper on July 30 04. and within 2000 miles have gone through 9.5 quarts of oil. We are trying to get the dealership to fix or replace the engine. They want to put in new rings, I don't think that will solve the problem. We are going to see the GM of the dealership today to request a new engine. Hopefully they will work with us as they have an excellent reputation in the community and want to maintain it. At least for now we have a rental car to drive at their expense and it's a Buick so I don't think it wil blow an engine! We are upset about the lack of reliability in this vehicle and the fact that we paid $8900 plus the $1600 extended warranty for it and we paid cash. We don't have the money to replace it or the wherewithal to buy a new car unless they either trade us out or return our money. Not a great situation to be in. If anyone has tried to have rings replaced in one of these affected engines, please let us know what the result was!

Big Mike's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 17/12/2003

Thanks KJ!! I needed that. So far she has been a great vehicle we have only had her for a short time but I have been into offroading for years
<br>owning Toyotas, GM, Ford and this truck really impresses me. This is basically a winter vehicle for the wife but it will definitely find it's way to Northern Maine next hunting season!! I do alot of my own mechanic work and found it easy to work on as well! Thanks again!!

Written on: 16/12/2003

Big Mike,
<br>
<br>The dangerous oil consumption is pretty much limited to the 1998-mid2000 3.5L's. There was a design problem with the oil control rings and there are tales of engines sucking all the oil out of the pan and seizing before the low oil pressure warning light could come on! The problem was fixed by Isuzu in mid-2000 production.

Big Mike's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 16/12/2003

Is this oil comsumption the same with the GM V6
<br>2.8L engine? I have not noticed any unusual consumption yet. It has 124k and still running strong. It is a 1991 model.

Written on: 20/11/2003

jdm411,
<br>
<br>Where are you? I'm in the Philly area. Leave a message here http://groups.msn.com/KJsTrooperPage
<br>with an email address and I'll get back to you.
<br>KJS

Jdm411's Response to KAOSKB1's Review

Written on: 20/11/2003

I passed the 500 mile oil change test..with minimal oil usage..1000?? what gives? The deal is I recently lost 2.5 quarts from VA to PA. Seems the highway speeds and miles cause the engine to lose more. Don't know quite what to do?? The engine sounds like a diesel!!!

Written on: 18/11/2003

Definitely visit a dealer. Isuzu's limit on oil consumption is one quart per thousand miles. Any worse and you are entitled to a new engine or at least a short block. The problem is related to a faulty design of the oil control rings. It was fixed on the 2001's and 02's. The dealer is required by Isuzu to run an oil consumption test which is a big pain the butt for you but it may earn you a new engine that does not use oil. If you get a new engine, run synthetic oil in it and you won't have this problem anymore.
<br>
<br>Look here for more info: http://forums.delphiforums.com/itog