Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC - Ask a question now

“Better than a Landie”

Written on: 04/10/2011 by Mudslinger (1 review written)

Bought it off a mate of mine 3 years ago to tow my caravan, after he'd had the engine self destruct and therefore replaced along with the turbo in the Isuzu recall. He'd bought an Insignia and left this one sat on his drive for 18 months, and I had a Terrano at the time which was totally gut less. It's been solid and reliable, if a bit dated in design. I tried out a TD5 Disco last year as a possible replacement for it, the TD5 had been re-mapped and was gorgeous to drive solo, but when I stuck… Read Full Review

“In 2000 I bought a 3L TDI having test driven the 3.1...”

Written on: 27/02/2011

In 2000 I bought a 3L TDI having test driven the 3.1 and finding it slow. I did more than 140k miles on motorways. I towed a caravan at 80miles an hour (always in a hurry) and it never missed a beat. The only time it broke down was when I was on the phone and drove past a petrol station and it ran out of fuel. I never treated it well and only serviced it once a year.. Too busy for all that 6k miles servicing. It never lost oil, leaked, smoked or anything. Always started first time every time!… Read Full Review

“LOVE my trooper even though it needed the recall work...”

Written on: 01/10/2010 by tikey (1 review written)

LOVE my trooper even though it needed the recall work , cant complain though as that was free , I use it as its supposed to be used as my farm truck but hav also driven it 12 hours continuos with a horse trailer on from wiltshire to newcastle an back in one day , didnt miss a note , the towing power is phenominal , which is what its all about , not wether its comfortable on the motorway ! mine is so basic , no electric windows , air con nothing , but it does what its supposed to on the farm and… Read Full Review

“First Isuzu trooper. 1998 3.0D SWB Trooper had a...”

Written on: 19/07/2010

First Isuzu trooper. 1998 3.0D SWB Trooper had a complete engine rebuild under warranty a year before we bought it. 95k on the clock and the ECU has failed. (£1200 approx to replace)

Would never buy an Isuzu again… Read Full Review

“It's a love/hate relationship. ”

Written on: 21/05/2010 by yintong5 (3 reviews written)

It's a love/hate relationship.

A couple of months ago I decided to get rid of my old (but reliable) 3.1TD Trooper and buy a 3.0TD. Although I was aware of the reliability/recall issues I figured buying a well-cared for model with a reasonably low mileage, regularly serviced, with all the recall work done and masses of paperwork, I would be on to a winner.

So far it's been in the garage 3 times; once for a failed injector (out of Isuzus' warranty) once for a new alternator and once again for… Read Full Review

“I had my Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC for a short time,...”

Written on: 19/07/2009

I had my Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC for a short time, but it is nice, strong, practical, got ok power but it is not wow. So far, I like it, it got 130k KM on it, no leaks whatever, shifts fair. It is not like the Rodeo (Gas) ride & power, but better off-road and room. I think for the price it is a good deal.
Diesel on long trips is super nice, in town with AC it can get costly. One last thing always keep an eye on oil pressure, when u see low while stopping with AC on, put in neutral and gas a… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have owned trooopers for at least 18 Years and...”

Written on: 18/06/2009 by Acad (1 review written)

I have owned trooopers for at least 18 Years and slowly but surely worked up until purchasing the LWB Auto Insignia.
The petrol motor was excellent but costly. changed for the 3.0L DT LBW Auto.Turbo Diesel. Worst thing I have ever done… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“This vehicle is a total let down, a disappointment, an...”

Written on: 10/11/2008 by furryears (1 review written)

This vehicle is a total let down, a disappointment, an insult to the normal qualities produced by Japanese manufacturers, problems have been non-stop. It ' s a 2001 I got it approx 2 half yrs ago, in first year it was in garage no less than 6 times with engine light well and truly lit. Each repair was a minimum of £300.00 ranging right up to £650.00, its had recalls on it since then and it has just gone down with engine failure again. Its unstable on the motorway with wind. Structurally it '… Read Full Review

“Super comfortable on long journeys. Very good...”

Written on: 24/10/2008 by demyansk (1 review written)

Super comfortable on long journeys. Very good reliability (it is japanese after all). Lovely cruiser. Comfy and solid. Had mine for 3 years and used it for long commutes as well as farming. Pulled the disco out of the mud more than once. Got very few moans about it. Overall: bought 2002 citation model for 7k in 2006-have done 50k miles in it without any probs… Read Full Review

“Good all round 4x4, after you get the recall work don...”

Written on: 15/03/2008 by aberdeenfc (1 review written)

Good all round 4x4, after you get the recall work don on it, and it is free from Isuzu, tell me another 4x4 maker who would recall a 7 year old trooper, bet you can ' t. Does what it was made for. Not motorway, people are knocking the 3.0td trooper. Power wise it will do the same thing as any 4x4 and more. Discos have there problems to, I bought a Pajero prior to buying my trooper, and the turbo blew the first day I got it… Read Full Review

“I traveled several times across France to Spain at...”

Written on: 21/11/2007 by trooper123 (1 review written)

I traveled several times across France to Spain at high speed in my Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC, I did 500 miles in 2 days on one occasion, towed a large caravan everywhere in the UK and France without any bother. I have found the trooper very reliable and comfortable and would recommend anyone to buy one… Read Full Review

“After the head gasket went for a second time I had the...”

Written on: 05/10/2007 by linnand (1 review written)

After the head gasket went for a second time I had the option of rebuilding the head at a cost of 800 euro or replace the engine,I was being offered 1500 euro for the jeep for scrap.I purchased a 94 3.1 and converted the 3.0 to a 3.1 at a total cost of 2500 euro. I have 34000 miles done on this conversion and it is well worth carrying it out .It can also be done with a 2.8 trooper engine… Read Full Review

Expatfraser's Response to linnand's Review

Written on: 04/08/2008

Hi there I have a 2000 trooper with the 3.0 l engine which has died (awful engine) I want to replace it with the 3.1l engine from an older trooper, probably a 1994. Not sure how to begin though. Any ideas how to do this? Are there any potential pitfalls I should look out for? I have all the tools and an engine ready.

“Although the performance of the vehicle did everything...”

Written on: 12/04/2007 by Merch (1 review written)

Although the performance of the vehicle did everything I wanted, I wold never buy Isuzu again, and the dealer who managed the recall issues for me doesn't sell this model 2nd hand any more.......although the car feels fine, I remain very nervous… Read Full Review

“I put a diesel treatment into the tank just before the...”

Written on: 18/10/2006 by provideo (1 review written)

I put a diesel treatment into the tank just before the Irish DOE for commercials. Bad idea. I hadn't been smokey beforehand but two days later its like inspector gadget has been at it!
No garage really wants to look at it and the Isuzu main dealers say it will cost €1400 for injectors alone before labour. Not much use for a jeep that cost €7250 after 3 months ownership. Avoid like the plague… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“It is not advisable to buy an Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi...”

Written on: 02/10/2006 by importmad (1 review written)

It is not advisable to buy an Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TDi DOHC. We owned one for about one month and a "Check Engine" light was a common visitor along with the speedo not working. After bringing it to be checked we were advised to sell it as soon as possible. There is a design fault with the 3L Diesel engine. Stay clear! If you want to buy a Trooper, only buy a 3.1L Diesel 1997 downwards, preferably with a recent timing belt, as replacement's cost €600+… Read Full Review

Demyansk's Response to importmad's Review

Written on: 24/10/2008

I disagree with this review because the fault in question was subject to a recall notice by Isuzu. You can still call Isuzu up, give your VIN, and they will tell you if the fault (to do with the injectors) has been rectified on your vehicle. You then go to the dealer and get it fixed free of charge. They will provide you with a code to bring to the delaer, and your car will be fixed in no more than a day.

☆☆☆☆☆

“The Isuzu Trooper was a great vehicle until the design...”

Written on: 01/02/2006 by gilesmorris (1 review written)

The Isuzu Trooper was a great vehicle until the design faults apparent in the 2998 cc TDi DOHC engine kicked in after 70000 miles… Read Full Review

Gale1's Response to gilesmorris's Review

Written on: 19/07/2006

I have the same car in Australia - Holden Jackaroo. Had new since 1999. This vehicle has had two factory recalls in Australia to replace injector valve seats. Apparently it causes the fuel to mix in with the oil and the vehicle can run on and rev up by itself.

☆☆☆☆☆

“Isuzu Trooper - My 1 year old (10,000 mile) trooper...”

Written on: 14/07/2005 by victoranthony (14 reviews written)

Isuzu Trooper - My 1 year old (10,000 mile) trooper blew up at 70mph on the motorway sending smoke and debris out of the back bringing the motorway to a grinding halt. This was due to an injector seal failure on my 3.0 diesel engine. Diesel got into the engine oil causing it to rev and rev until it blew up.
This is not considered to be a safety issue by the importer and so is not under recall by them. Beware if you have the 3.0 diesel engine, I advise you sell yours before it's too late.
The… Read Full Review

Isuzu1's Response to victoranthony's Review

Written on: 06/01/2006

Its Impossible to have a 2004 or 2003 isuzu trooper besause the 2002 isuzu trooper was the last of its kind.

Dorothy Hannigan's Response to victoranthony's Review

Written on: 09/08/2006

i also had same problem with my trooper 3.0 approx 18 mths, also on motorway. because of faulty seals the fuel got into oil, causing over revving and increased independant speed, i had repaired at own cost. now same thing has happed BUT i have been informed yesterday that isuzu are now doing a recall and will in fact repair my jeep at no cost to me. i should add that this has only occurred yesterday and i have not yet had the repairs carried out, so watch this space.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I bought a second hand Isuzu Trooper 99 3.0 turbo...”

Written on: 05/02/2005 by steve holden (1 review written)

I bought a second hand Isuzu Trooper 99 3.0 turbo deisel 4x4 and loved it, had it dealer serviced to maintain the warranty. after 18 months with 56K on the clock I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust the isuzu dealer told me the engine needed replacing, it had overheated. when I said it must be replaced under warranty the dealer said the warranty was void because the previous owner had missed a service. The previous owner had serviced the car but the dealer did not stamp the book. Isuzu… Read Full Review

Written on: 17/03/2005

We have just scrapped our 99 ISUZU trooper at 87K because injectors leaked fuel into crank case causing engine to self run to distruction. Watch out for any increase in oil level and get it fixed. Injectors are £800 for set of 4 plus fitting. No change out of £1500. A new engine for us would be £4000 plus £2000 fitting plus the £1500 above makes £7,500. The car trades at £6,500 hence scrap. Also bad starter because of complex high oil pressure type injectors together with flow back of fuel towards tank. This engine with I think 18 sensors is too clever for it's own good to quote the dealer. Watch that oil level !!!!!

Kativa's Response to 183564_steve holden's Review

Written on: 25/06/2005

Dear Joywheel, have been reading yours and other reviews on the dreaded Isuzu engine. Just to say that they do make the commercial with a 3.0 engine. We had a 2002 Isuzu commercial with a 3.0 engine that blew up on us in February this year. Have just spent £6k getting it back on the road - it had 68,000 miles on it so no warranty from Isuzu. A friend has managed to have 2 engines go on him - lucky for him Isuzu coughed up for both !!!!
<br>Will never ever buy another Isuzu - would think a horse and cart is more reliable !!!!

Written on: 20/06/2005

Hi iphcc. I would like to read your review, how can I do that ? You say yours is a commercial vehicle. as far as I was aware Isuzu did not use the dredded 3 ltr in pick ups, they only use a " standard " diesel like the 2.8 and the 3.1 that will last for ever. Perhaps you could e-mail me a copy. It should be possible for us all to get Isuzu to take a more sympathetic approach to our claims for reasonable compensation for this troublesome engine. Best regards Tony Joyce

193884_Iphcc's Response to 183564_steve holden's Review

Written on: 18/05/2005

Same thing happened to my dealer saying he had 4 troopers in 3 of which had injector seal failure and us engines, the problem I have is a 3 month wait for repairs to a commercial truck that pays my wages, I wouldn't have another Isuzu if you gave it to me.

Alaska Rob's Response to 183564_steve holden's Review

Written on: 12/05/2005

I got a 2002 Isuzu and in less than 2500 miles into purchase agreement or 4 days I noticed smoke from tail pipe. The dealer got it in for check engine light, replace some gasket and I checked the oil at 2500 mile and was 2 and a half quarts low, and no rough driving. The service manager said it drops a qt. every 750 miles. I told the sales person this vehicle wasn’t right, but he said it’s nothing wrong. They are searching now to resolve oil consumption and engine noise.

Written on: 18/03/2005

Your comment 40 to 50 percent engine failure on the 3 ltr engine. Do you have any idea what caused the failures? Leaking injectors killed our engine. The garage had 2 others in the workshop while attending to ours that also had the same injector problem and while it was being fixed yet another one was brought in. About 1 per week we were told. Has anyone else had this problem?

“I bought an 02 trooper 3ltr turbo diesel 2 months ago,...”

Written on: 18/12/2002 by trials star. (1 review written)

I bought an 02 trooper 3ltr turbo diesel 2 months ago, I've not really been that impressed with it to be honest. It usually takes about 4 seconds to start after glow plug light goes out(thought direct injection would be better than this). The throttle is like a switch either full on or off, and coupled with the turbo lag it's not a smooth ride. I know it's heavy but I thought that 156bhp and 240 odd lbs/ft of torque would be better than this slug… Read Full Review

Scriv.'s Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 08/04/2003

I can't believe no 1 has replyed 2 this
<br>There is obviously a problem with the 3.0 tdi engine
<br>throttle body is a fault
<br> fuel return valve
<br>And a whole load 2 do with the injectors/gaskets & seals.
<br>oil pressure/fuel/water/mixture,all needs sorting
<br>reply here!!

Jamw99's Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 01/07/2009

i have a 3.0tdi dohc i had the cat removed and throttle responce is much better power gain as well grate for towing i tow diggers all the time good work horse.

233163_Pimdog's Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 08/03/2006

Our 02 trooper 3ltr engine died on us at 70 mph on a busy road luckily the police were behind and directed traffic. Has anyone had the work done payed for by Isuzu? This is a disgrace when there is now a known problem, they should be recalled .

Joywheel's Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 20/06/2005

Hi warren. Can you let me know more info about your 3 ltr trooper. I'm trying to build a file on this troublesome engine. Perhaps you could e-mail me your story. Best regards. Tony Joyce joywheel@aol.com

Warren123's Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 10/02/2005

I bought a new trooper 3.0 in sept 03 and it blew the engine up after 16 months(16300 miles) Has anyone else had this problem.

William's Response to 58947_trials star.'s Review

Written on: 04/10/2003

I have a 1999 3 litre turbo Diesel Trooper.
<br>It is a terrible starter. Seems like a fuel problem .
<br>Used to be a problem when car sat all night. Now, even when car sits for 1 hour it has to turn over for approx 10-15 seconds before starting.
<br>Is there a fuel non return valve in the system. If so, where is it?
<br>My local Isuzu dealer either didn't know how to solve or just wouldn't tell me. Please comment if you can help at all. Cheers

“I bought my Isuzu trooper 3 months ago. It is a 3.0...”

Written on: 06/04/2002 by I Reardon. (1 review written)

I bought my Isuzu trooper 3 months ago. It is a 3.0 dohc turbo deisel. I have found the performance more than adequate. The comfort on the trooper is excellent, much better than my previous toyota hilux (rice for price). It beats most other makes hands down, but without compromise. Has surpassed all my expectations. Would recommend it to anyone… Read Full Review

Ronnie Shelton.'s Response to I Reardon.'s Review

Written on: 09/09/2002

they make a diesel trooper? sounds cool, wouldn't mind having one myself, the ol' 4 banger's did good so far but bigger is always better