Toyota MR2 Mk1 Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Toyota MR2 Mk1 - Ask a question now

“Owned from new MR2 Mk1b”

Written on: 15/11/2012 by Datatek (1 review written)

The best small sports car on the planet. Totally reliable, comfortable and economical, it will leave a lot of more powerful cars for dead on the twisties. Never fails to bring a smile to my face when I drive it. Lots are rust buckets, luckily mine had Honda aftermarket rust proofing and as far as I can see is pretty much rust free. Just waiting for the rest to rust away so that it becomes valuable… Read Full Review

“The only classic on the road more than the Garage! ”

Written on: 13/10/2012 by Vulpine (1 review written)

I recently got my self a 1986 MR2-MK1-TBar . I won't do a review as such as I have only owned it a few weeks. Although so far I think it's fantastic, fun to drive, quick and so far reliable, but what I will do is compare it to my MGB-GT. Cost: My MGB cost my around £5k and still wasn't right, I resold at £2k, A loss of £3k! MR2, £1100 and spot on macanically (bit of rust around the arches however) I don't know the resale as I still own it, but as its not costing me anything to do up… Read Full Review

“Toyota MR2 MK 1, Fantastic car, to own and drive, ”

Written on: 12/03/2011

Toyota MR2 MK 1, Fantastic car, to own and drive,
delightfull gearchange, i had one 20 years
ago, and always promised myself one again i,m 55
now, and after taking early retirement from the NHS,
this is my present to myself, the car has had 4 previous
owners, fully documented service history, a folder full of
receipts, and every mot since new, loveley after market alloys,
cat 2 immobiliser, all for under £2,000 !!!! go on, you know you
want one… Read Full Review

“Best fun for your pound by far. Cheap to buy (at the...”

Written on: 27/10/2010 by dibble (1 review written)

Best fun for your pound by far. Cheap to buy (at the moment) cheap to keep on the road as many are being broken for spares. Buy now as they are going up in price every year. so hopefully no depreciation which is good news. Many upgrade options available for suspension,brakes and power increase making it more like driving a lotus. Mine is far from standard having spent some £2500 on parts and hundreds of hours in my workshop, so if you need any advise feel free to contact me on… Read Full Review

“Bit of a Review and also a bit of a Buyers Guide. ...”

Written on: 15/10/2009 by gafr21 (1 review written)

Bit of a Review and also a bit of a Buyers Guide. You'll want one after this! :)

Why the Mark 1 Toyota MR2? (1987-1990)

Firstly and fore mostly; they are seriously fun to drive! Just ask any Mk1 owner, and watch as a massive cheesy grin appears across their face. It will happen! :)

80's rocket ship styling

Removable glass roof (T-Bar model)

Very light weight

Engine revs up to 8,000 RPM

True sports car handling - refined by Lotus

Toyota reliability

Toyota build quality

Lots of… Read Full Review

“The Toyota MR2 Mk1 is a simple, reliable, nimble,...”

Written on: 30/04/2009

The Toyota MR2 Mk1 is a simple, reliable, nimble, frugal, zippy, tiny 1980's 2 seater, mid engined, 1600cc bundle of fun fun fun.

Faster in Supercharged form (1986 onwards....), but not so much fun fun fun fun.

SO much more REWARDING TO DRIVE than some latest greatest turbo FWD honda hatch type R or GM VXR thing, Where will the typeR's and VXR's be in 25 years time?

“Always fast for a 1600cc car (I own the supercharged)...”

Written on: 28/05/2008

Always fast for a 1600cc car (I own the supercharged) always goodlooking, always reliable (it can work all day) very comfortable for a two seater,good driving sense. Nice steering. And of course the t-bar makes it special for the summer time. if you want to be forever young buy a mr2 mk1!… Read Full Review

“Well I paid £260 of eBay and I drove 160 miles to pick...”

Written on: 24/03/2008

Well I paid £260 of eBay and I drove 160 miles to pick it up.Once on the motorway the car drove brilliantly comfortable. Apart from the spotlights this car is in amazing condition and the interior is dated but still in good tact I can't think of any car this old were you have sincere fun driving it I just worry were I am going to get parts from when required… Read Full Review

“The best small sports car I have driven for a long...”

Written on: 12/02/2007 by themr2mk1 (1 review written)

The best small sports car I have driven for a long time. It handles like a dream and has never let me down (unlike the X19 I had)… Read Full Review

“This Toyota MR2 Mk1 is the best car I've ever owned...”

Written on: 01/12/2006 by Deuce roadster (1 review written)

This Toyota MR2 Mk1 is the best car I've ever owned and I'm 64 years old.
One owner I spoke with had a problem with his water pump which failed at 95,000 miles and stranded him on the highway. I have tried to find if there is a pattern to this but have found none. Does anybody have any input on this?… Read Full Review

Rileyroadster's Response to Deuce roadster's Review

Written on: 05/11/2007

Thank you kindly, Deuce Roadster. A good and helpful, optimistic review. So much more reassuring than poring over the current edition of
<br/>'Dog and Lemon Guijde' TOyota MR2 pages last night in my attempt to
<br/>find clues to a coolant problem.
<br/>
<br/>I'm having probs finding out why the coolant - water is dropping after
<br/>several hours.
<br/>
<br/>No white steam, no emulsion in engine, no oil in radiator water. None
<br/>of the usual indications of cracked head or broken head gasket.
<br/>
<br/>The thermocouple is working well.
<br/>
<br/>The car was set up previously by a rally mechanic, but he is now retired. The new mechanic shakes head and says it would be "very expensive
<br/> to check.
<br/>
<br/>I u nderstand of course. The mid engine radiator is difficult to access and pulling the head down is obviously going to be a pain.
<br/>Any suggestions before I attempt my amateurish - I'm no mechanic -
<br/>first try exploration into the engine to see why the water might be disappearing and where it's going to?
<br/>Cheers....

“I have a 1986 Toyota MR2. I love this car! Virtually...”

Written on: 28/10/2005 by ashleya340 (1 review written)

I have a 1986 Toyota MR2. I love this car! Virtually no mechanical problems. I have over 230,000kms on it, and it just keeps going… Read Full Review

“I bought this little Mk1 BEAST of a car nearly 6...”

Written on: 09/02/2005 by sniperwalsh (3 reviews written)

I bought this little Mk1 BEAST of a car nearly 6 months back and i've had nothing but great fun in it!! Although the spark plugs went which halved the power - other than that this Toyota MR2 sports car has been solid as a rock. Not bad for an F reg with 87,000 on the clock.
I am fairly sure that if you went to a garage with £1000 in your hand, you would not find a better handling car for your money and with 120Bhp through the rear wheels and that superb mid-mounted engine singing it's way… Read Full Review

Ispivey's Response to sniperwalsh's Review

Written on: 21/12/2006

Inherant knocking from front suspension?
<br/>
<br/>Thats sounds like your front suspension drop links need changing failing that the stearing rack could be loose.

“This review is for the early "classic" MK1 (AW11)...”

Written on: 23/11/2004 by keithrose (2 reviews written)

This review is for the early "classic" MK1 (AW11) model Toyota MR2 sports car sold between 1984-1990.
I have owned my 1990, 37,000 miles example for just about a year and is used as a second car on a classic insurance policy.
If you want a fun, fast, and great mid engine handling sports car then you should defiantly check out one of these Japanese pocket rockets.

History.
The story goes that back in the early 80's Toyota produced reliable well-built salons, which had all the character of day… Read Full Review

Keithrose44's Response to keithrose's Review

Written on: 18/09/2010

Just to update this in 2010.
<br/>
<br/>The car has been faultless and never failed an mot with not even an advisory and its 20 years old The rad got hit by a stone in 2009 but was replaced for &pound;115, self fitted. I also fitted a high level LED 3rd brake light as the standard stop lights are not so bright in the day compared to modern cars.
<br/>
<br/>Ive replaced the suspension bushes all round with polybush as well as the springs and dampers (kyb's), discs and pad (mintex)and brake hoses (stainless steel). This just due to age and wear and tear and the handling has been returned to new. Total cost of parts was &pound;1500 but well worth it.
<br/>
<br/>Body is still rust free and less than 40k miles but its only used in the summer months. Interior has hardly aged and the cloth passenger seat still looks new. I still think the Mk1 its a great buyand ones but cars like mine are becoming rare and you need to take your time when viewing.
<br/>
<br/>The drive still gives me a buzz when it hits 4500 rpm and takes off and thats after 7 years ! My everyday car is faster and easier to drive to be honest but i still crave a blast in the 2 when the sun comes out :-)
<br/>Timeless classic !

“I have owned my Toyota MR2 for two years now, I have...”

Written on: 27/10/2004 by Cannondale (3 reviews written)

I have owned my Toyota MR2 for two years now, I have replaced the exhaust with a full stainless steel one and also changed a couple of interior cosmetics. The handling and road holding the MR2 gives is second to none for the price and can also show up cars of twice/three times its price, especially saxo's and corsa's (childrens toys who like to look better than they drive)? Stats speak for them selves. 1.6 16v, Twin cam, 122bhp @ 6,600rpm, 104 Lb ft @ 5,000rpm and a weight of just 925kg giving… Read Full Review

“I bought my Toyota MR2 car last week, 1987 private...”

Written on: 12/06/2002 by spirit. (1 review written)

I bought my Toyota MR2 car last week, 1987 private plate. Awesome, just awesome. Suspension has been lowered and the interior needs a little attention, but hey, it's fun, fun, fun!… Read Full Review

Flan.'s Response to 27436_spirit.'s Review

Written on: 30/09/2002

That kick at 4500rpm is the TVIS (Toyota Variable Induction Systym). A set of butterflys close off one port to each cylnder below 4500rpm. the TVIS is common in early 4a-g toyotas, and is stock in all AW-11(MK1 MR2)

“I have an 85, and an 88 model Toyota mr2. The 85 was...”

Written on: 24/02/2002 by Krimzen. (1 review written)

I have an 85, and an 88 model Toyota mr2. The 85 was my first mr2, and i drove it for about 2 years with no problems after I rebuilt and put in a j-spec engine inside. The 88 seems to run even better, with power windows, cruise, and leather seats. Both models are equipped with A/C. The 1985 however, has better handling, due to a suspension change, I believe in 1987. The early models had a lower and tighter suspension, the 88 model I have banks a little more on curves, but all in all it still… Read Full Review

Dillosunion.'s Response to Krimzen.'s Review

Written on: 18/09/2002

I recently bought a 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder. After 12,000 miles the steering wheel locked up (while driving)thus, creating a very dangerous situation. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. The Toyota manufacturer assured me that each car passes a 125 point inspection and they are safe to drive. The only thing they assured me is the need for a 126 point inspection. I don't feel safe driving this car even after they "fix" the problem. I can never be sure if this won't happen again. Hey, it's only my life.
<br>(moved from review cat)

Keithrose's Response to Krimzen.'s Review

Written on: 30/11/2004

Both great cars!
<br>
<br>The 87 changes were mainly to improve the brakes and the handling should be about the same on both models if the shocks / tyres are not too worn.
<br>
<br>The UK Mk1 owners club offers a man choke/warm up conversion for about £50 (d.i.y. fitting) which can stop all that fussy 2500 rpm warm up period.

Niko111's Response to Krimzen.'s Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

Has anyone had a knocking sound coming out of there engine 2001-and up. I dont know how bad the damage is and Toyota will not warranty it. Please help, what should I do.

“A friend of mine has just bought an old C registration...”

Written on: 15/04/2000 by Steve. (1 review written)

A friend of mine has just bought an old C registration MR2 and I am simply saying how impressed I was by it. Fast, corners well and has this weird system which cuts it at 4500rpm and give an extra burst of speed like a turbo but not!!!. Most excellent TOYOTA!!!!!… Read Full Review

Keithrose's Response to 127_Steve.'s Review

Written on: 30/11/2004

The engine was developed by Yamaha and has a controlled induction system which gives a big punch at 4500 to 7500 rpm. Much like a power band on Yamaha sports bikes.