Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i Reviews

• Reliability

Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i

Vauxhall Tigra 1.6i

“I have owned my little Vauxhall Tigra Sports Car for a...”

Written on: 01/03/2005 by kenwood33 (13 reviews written)

I have owned my little Vauxhall Tigra Sports Car for a month and to be perfectly honest it is a fantastic little car. If I had the money then I would go right out and buy another new Tigra as I can't rate them highly enough. Sure I am 5'10" and yes the Tigras are low to get into but this is a minor thing. The Tigras are just as economical as any other car of their size and engine providing you don't put your foot down too heavy then it won't run away with you on the old juice! In the first… Read Full Review

“This is an updated review of my 1999 1600i Tigra. ”

Written on: 03/06/2004 by sashafishing (1 review written)

This is an updated review of my 1999 1600i Tigra.
I Hillclimb her. Spax Suspension, Janspeed exhaust system, Superchipped, 57i induction kit enhanced with a 12 volt powerfan, fuel boost valve, ecotec valve, chipped air intake sensor and Vented bonnet. I am still amazed by this engine at the last Loton Park meeting she was revving way above the 7500 rpm on the clock.
I am now buying a larger rev counter to find out how high she is revving. See tuning guide on ebay under Vauxhall Tigra… Read Full Review

“Buy one - terrific little car - reasonably priced -...”

Written on: 31/10/2003 by elizabeth thornewill (1 review written)

Buy one - terrific little car - reasonably priced - zippy - very pretty - low on fuel consumption - good on corners. I would buy another one… Read Full Review

“I am from Brazil and here we have only 98/99 1.6...”

Written on: 16/10/2003 by pesfaria (1 review written)

I am from Brazil and here we have only 98/99 1.6 Tigras, mine is a 99 red magma perfect it has only problems with fuel pressure valve.
We have a club www.tigratuning.com.br

See you there :)
pesfaria@tigratuning.com.br… Read Full Review

“I have owned my Tigra 1600i from new a 1999 model. ”

Written on: 27/06/2003 by Ray Stone. (1 review written)

I have owned my Tigra 1600i from new a 1999 model.
I have travelled dare I say it 42000 miles without problems.
I have recently taken up hillclimb events in it, Loton Park to be precise.
I have lowered and hardened the suspension .
Put a competition exhaust on it.
Replaced the air filter with a sports type.
Fitted forced air induction with a resister chip on the sensor feed. My next mod is a fuel boost valve.
It just keeps going faster and faster.
What a great car… Read Full Review

“I own my second vauxhall Tigra now and still very...”

Written on: 16/10/2002 by Robin. (1 review written)

I own my second vauxhall Tigra now and still very happy with it. No technical problems during my 5 years of experience except a broken distributor belt (which was overdue for replacement). Handling of the car is super as long as the car is fitted with good tires; replacing the tires that came from the factory with good Michelins (or any top brand) makes a very big difference!
I also can tell you that the airbag system works very well (I tried it with my first Tigra ;-)
While the standard 1.6… Read Full Review

“I had been saving up for a Vauxhall Tigra for a while,...”

Written on: 14/04/2002 by Barty. (1 review written)

I had been saving up for a Vauxhall Tigra for a while, and I hadn't bothered to test drive one until I got near my savings budget. Once I got behind the wheel and drove the thing I could not believe what a disappointment it was! I was so surprised that I drove three examples to make sure the first was representative.

I (like many others) had fallen for the showroom appeal of these cars. They are unbelievably pretty, have lots of gadgets (especially the 1.6 litre cars) and look as if they… Read Full Review

Mike Greenhough.'s Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 02/06/2002

Having owning a vauxhall tigra for 1 1/2 years now,This review is a untrue many people that i know are impressed by the handling and performance from this standard car of this small coupe yes the brakes are soft this is because they have bigger brakes than a corsa they are the same as the 2.0 vectra so this is why they are soft

224167_Princess2B's Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 07/01/2006

I have always loved the tigra and when i was able to get my own car, that what i got. I loved it, it looks great and its a smart car.
I have had the car now for over 12 months s reg and now i am having problems that i am not happy about. The car started to lose water and i had to fill her up everyday. I took her to a garage 450 pounds to pay and now the car is blowing big puffs of smoke ..I dont know what to do all i know is that there is more money to pay. Have anyone got any ideas on how much this will cost and does this happen all the time with tigras?

Miketheswede's Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 17/07/2004

Oh man...what did you expect for that kind of money? A Dodge Viper??? Now READ THIS: Ive owned a Tigra for 3 years . True fact is that no other car in that pricerange comes close to be better. Brakes are just fine, its anti-locking system might take some time getting used to. Engine (1,6 litres) is more than enough for this type of car. It handles VERY well in corners, but what you have to do when you buy one is to check the tyres, original 185/55 from factory are rubbish. I put on 195/55 GOOD YEAR EAGLE and it handles like a dream (Again, for a car in that pricerange). The body is well put together and stronger than cars in the class. Only negative thing about the car is that they were quite expensive when new, but that is no problem as they dont make them anymore. However, when buying a used one you get exellent value for money.

Camilla's Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2003

I've had my P reg Tigra since January this year with 58k on the clock. For the first 6 months, everything was rosy...then the cam-belt went - £300 to fix...and now just recently the EGR valve has become faulty and needs to be replaced and the exhausts are blowing (£450 quote to repair the lot). I do love the style, shape and drive of the Tigra...but I have to say I'm not impressed with the extra costs to keep the car mobile! Anyone else had similar problems?

111291_Allan.'s Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 28/06/2003

This review seems some what harsh, if the car was that bad they would not sell, I have owned mine for a short time but it is the best car I've driven. My friend's think it is sexy and I'm always wearing a smile behind the wheel. I hope Vauxhall push ahead with the plans for the new Tigra, this car is set to be a classic and I plan to keep mine for life, nothing else on the road at this price range comes close, Ford Fiesta and the other clones, NO THANKS.

58820_Rich.'s Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

People.
The striking similarities between the Corsa and the Tigra are easily explained.
They are both built on the same chassis/platform.
What are you doing expecting good things from Vauxhall anyway? Yes, I know they make good engines most of the time, but I can't credit anything else about them I'm afraid. A standard Vauxhall depeciation value would be enough to scare a dare devil.
For goodness sake buy a Honda Type R if you want something to rave about!
The Tigra should be left to people who "just drive" cars

Bentos.'s Response to 19297_Barty.'s Review

Written on: 04/06/2002

HAVING OWNED A TIGRA 1.4 FOR 18 MTHS WE HAVE NOTICED SUBSTANTIAL RELIABILITY PROBLEMS. SPONGY BRAKES BEING A LARGE ISSUE. THE OVERALL STOPPING POWER OF THIS CAR IS VERY LIMITED STATING THAT IT IS SOLD AS A SPORTS PERFORMANCE VEHICLE (SOMEWHAT SCARY). RELIABILITY WITHIN ENGINE COMPONENTS (EXAMPLE GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE) CAN PROVE EXPENSIVE AND TEDIOUS. MY OVERALL FEELINGS TOWARDS THIS VEHICLE IS STEER CLEAR AND SAVE THE MONEY FOR A BETTER VEHICLE.