Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP S/shaft Reviews

Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP S/shaft - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP S/shaft

Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP S/shaft

“Tohatsu 6hp reliable and great on gas”

Written on: 04/01/2013

My Tohatsu 6hp has been great and is running strong for nearly 2 years without any issues. The fuel economy is awesome. She starts first or second pull every time. I too was surprised by the reviews on power as it is plenty adequate for me. I have it on an inflatable rated for 7hp and it does just fine. There is some vibration but it isn't any more than other single cylinder outboards I've owned over the years. It is a fourstroker so it is a bit quieter than twostrokers in the past. I'm… Read Full Review

“I just bought a 2011 6hp 4-stroke short-shaft Tohatsu...”

Written on: 18/05/2011

I just bought a 2011 6hp 4-stroke short-shaft Tohatsu outboard, and after breaking it in, wish I hadn't wasted my money. It has excessive vibration, is noisy, the steering stiffener and throttle stiffener don't work well at all, and it won't idle at slow rpm. The tiller is too short. And when you let go of the tiller, the motor immediately steers to one side -- very poor. At trolling speed, the throttle jumps up and down unexpectedly.

It was inexpensive, but when something doesn't work, it… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2011

I suggest you read the menu throughly especially on the section regarding the steeering . I have no problem for either steering or low speed idling. But I agree that the power is not feel like a 6 but something like a 4.5, and is quite noisy and the vibration is quite obious.

Robfaith's Comment

Written on: 10/10/2012

We are not alone! Our new longshaft 6hp Tohatsu bought for our 25ft Tophat yacht is also a complete lemon with EXACTLY the same list of problems which could be catastrophic in tight situations. Total lack of after sales interest at local and regional level.

“I'm puzzled at the statement that the 6 hp Tohatsu 4...”

Written on: 02/12/2009

I'm puzzled at the statement that the 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke is down on power. I have a new one and it's a strong runner. It replaced a 5 hp Suzuki 2 stroke that was stolen, and I'd say the new 6 is as strong or better. It planes my 12' aluminum with ease… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 23/01/2012

A 6hp could not plane a canoe man! Do you work for tahatso? On commission?

“I bought this motor to replace a 32 year old, still...”

Written on: 27/11/2009

I bought this motor to replace a 32 year old, still running but hard to start, 6hp Johnson Seahorse that I use as a kicker for my 23' sailboat. This motor is very similar to the Seahorse with the benefits of being lighter so easier to carry, starting every time on the second pull, being quieter ( although not as quiet as I was hoping for) and using less fuel. Note that with a boat over 3000 lbs you will need to request a prop with a lower pitch than the standard… Read Full Review

“My 6HP Tohatsu produces less HP than the 5HP Tohatsu...”

Written on: 10/09/2009

My 6HP Tohatsu produces less HP than the 5HP Tohatsu 2-stroke I have.

I've had good experiences with the Tohatsu/Nissan 2-strokes (3.3 and 5 HP) but am miffed about the 4-stroke 6. I can't believe it produces 6 HP. It will barely plane one person in a dinghy, something the 5HP did with ease.

Otherwise it starts reasonably easily and for a 4-stroke, it's reasonably light weight. But the power output is underwhelming… Read Full Review

“This motor is a good solid motor that is well equipped...”

Written on: 09/03/2008

This motor is a good solid motor that is well equipped for service on a small jon boat or sailboat. excellent reliability and starts from cold on second pull. I would recommend the Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP outboard motor… Read Full Review