Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover Reviews

Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover

Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover

“Rubbish product”

Written on: 08/10/2016 by ClarkRoberts (1 review written)

We purchased this product after watching videos which made it appear quite easy. We painted it on and covered with cling film left overnight and guess what it hardly moved any artex. £50 gone on what, back to square one. We bought a steamer which did the job… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/10/2016

I am very sorry to hear you are having problems using X-Tex.

We have thousands of happy customers using this product successfully to remove Artex and I can assure you if it didn’t work then we would not be selling the product.

£50 sounds like you purchased two tubs, but if the product had not worked then you would have returned the second tub? This also suggests that you did not try a small test area as stated in bold on the label?

Every job is different and never an exact science so we always stress to try a small area first to establish the dwell time before tackling the whole job.

The Artex you are trying to remove will be covered in emulsion paint so this has to be removed prior to removing the Artex. I am surprised to hear that it has had no reaction at all? If X-Tex has has no reaction at all then it cannot be emulsion or Artex.

The worst type of paint you can have covering the Artex is vinyl silk emulsion which is a tough finish, but X-Tex will still soften it.

Using a steamer can work but is very hazardous especially if the artex contains asbestos fibres.

“Buying More!”

Written on: 03/06/2016 by Childers162 (1 review written)

Ordered some x-tex and missed the first delivery due to the amazingly efficient service. A bit Sceptical about this product but, toxic free, water soluble, no smell or irritants and does a great job , requires two coats as the Artex was a heavy texture. What's not to like. Will be ordering more. … Read Full Review

“X Tex a very last resort”

Written on: 05/11/2015 by Hubster65 (1 review written)

Bought this as it looked like an easy solution instead of boarding over hallway textured ceiling (boarding not an option as coving & spotlights in place etc). Covered wooden floor with plastic sheeting. X Tex went on ok, and waited about an hour. Started scraping off and it was hard work. Debris fell off scraper onto me, step ladder and floor. Worked in about 2ft square at a time. Moved ladder and slipped on the mess it was creating. Sheeting tore, debris ended up underneath it. Tried cloth… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to Hubster65's Review

Written on: 25/11/2015

I am sorry to some negative things about this product. Of course using a product that removes a coating will in fact remove any type of coating it falls onto! so covering these things would be common sense?

The best way is to cover with plastic sheeting, then cover with lots of layers of newspaper. Then as the softened artex falls to the floor wrap the newspaper up and then keep putting more newspaper down.

X-Tex encapsulates Artex (which in pre 1985 coatings contains asbestos fibres) so it keeps the coating damp at all times which prevent any asbestos fibres from becoming airborne, so it will be sticky and messy.

The coverage is an approximation based on two coats of artex, and we cannot give exacts as every coating is different. You will also find emulsion.

“Does not work.”

Written on: 14/07/2015 by halleven (2 reviews written)

Purchased on the back of favorable reviews but it simply does not work. I have tried scoring the artex but it simply will not budge. I spent over £100 on this product and feel totally ripped off… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to halleven's Review

Written on: 08/09/2015

Very sorry to hear you were no happy with X-Tex, but if this was normal Artex it would have come off very easily. I think the problem you were having was trying to remove the paint that has been applied over the top.

The worst type of paint you can have is vinyl silk, and can prove to be a real pain. Did you call the technical helpline, or even try a small test area first as stated on the label?

I am sorry to think that you have been "ripped off" but I can assure you we are in the business of coatings removal, and if our products didn't work we would not be in business anymore.

Removing Artex® using Eco Solutions X-Tex® WORKING WET SYSTEM
One of the quickest and easiest ways that we have found to remove artex® is with this amazing product. Simply paint over the artex®, on a horizontal or vertical surface, and scrape off when softened. Called a working wet system – this means that the artex® is kept wet at all times which results in no asbestos fibres becoming airborne, and when scraped will fall directly to the floor (we recommend to cover the floor with lots of old newspapers and just wrap the artex® up in the paper, bag and dispose of at your local council recycling centre. Most refuse sites now take asbestos waste).

Most artex® has been painted over the years with various coats of emulsions and this does need to be removed before you can start removing the artex®. The most difficult of these is vinyl silk which contains plastic polymers, and once softened by any type of paint remover can turn it into a gooey mess!

The answer to this problem is to remove with a long handled blade scraper which helps to lift it from the surface rather than spreading it around the wall, which usually happens when using a standard steel scraper. If you suspect the emulsion to be vinyl silk then a very light scoring with a Stanley knife prior to applying X-Tex® will enable the product to penetrate below the surface and lift it from the substrate and make removal much easier. (Only a light scoring of the surface is required- as you do not want to disturb the artex® coating underneath)

Another great tip is to apply X-Tex® and cover with foil or plastic film and leave overnight. The foil prevents the X-Tex® from drying out and also forces the product down and in most cases softens both the emulsion and the artex® in one application. This is highly recommended to obtain the best results and to save you product.

“I went with reviews on here with over 60% recommending...”

Written on: 25/02/2015 by 1887wwfc (1 review written)

I went with reviews on here with over 60% recommending to a friend. Are these all employees or owners of the company? The artex on my bathroom isn't thick and I had got some of it off already with the X-Tex. I am sure that applying this stuff made it worse to get off. After applying I left overnight fully expecting it peel off just like it did in the video. I'm afreaid it just didn't work. Spent about 6 hours trying to get the artex off and acheived patchy removal of an area around 4 foot by 2… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to 1887wwfc's Review

Written on: 04/03/2015

Really sorry to hear you are not happy with X-Tex and that you think that we waste our time placing reviews on websites to get business. We simply wouldn't be in business if our products weren't effective!

I think you have to look at what you are trying to take off as the problem and not the product trying to remove it (this is always the case sadly). It sounds like the paint you are trying to remove (which is over the top of the artex) could have possible been a vinyl silk (kitchens & bathroom paint) which is particularly difficult to remove as they can turn glory or rubbery when a paint remover is applied (that is the same for all paint removers)

Also the artex could have been a bonded type textured coating which has adhesives in it making it even harder again to remove. Original artex (BPB UK Ltd) will soften very quickly if not covered with emulsion, so once you have got through the paint the artex will come away quickly and this is not the case in your situation.

Not one job is the same and removing anything that has been designed not to be removed is one of the hardest jobs you can undertake in DIY.

You are always going to get poor reviews on even the best products on the market, and ours is one of the best selling and safest products on the market today to remove artex.

Again I am sorry to hear you are not happy, and hope you finally remove the coating.

“Used on 25 year old very thick artex”

Written on: 14/01/2015 by Malikj146 (1 review written)

Having decided to remove all our artex from our hallways I thought I would give X-tex a go. To be perfectly honest I am astonished at the results. If applied in the correct manner (As recommended on tub) and sufficient time left after application the artex comes off a treat. I use both a 4" razor tipped and a double handed 6" razor tipped scraper to do the work and providing you keep the blade at a shallow angle the stuff flies off. Put it this way, I managed to get about 250 ft sq done in… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/01/2015

So pleased you liked X-Tex and had great results with it. I am assuming that you purchased this product in 2.5 litre containers?

We do actually have it in a 15 litre tub if you need larger quantities in the future. We have a list of stockists on our website that carry the larger tubs.

“It works - Just not very well!!”

Written on: 03/03/2014 by slartibartfast14 (1 review written)

Bought some of this to do a bathroom ceiling. Getting in on was an absolute nightmare with the stuff going every where except on the ceiling (thank god for dust sheets). Finally managed to cover a 1 metre by 2 metre area and left it for and hour and a half to work. Removing it was even worse than putting it on, yes it does remove the artex, but it requires arm muscles like the Hulk and leaves lots of semi liquid spotches all over the floor and I had to scrap the dust sheets as trying to clean… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to slartibartfast14's Review

Written on: 14/03/2014

Sorry to hear you experienced problems using X-Tex and our product is thick enough that it shouldn't drip and can cling to ceilings.

Leaving for the length of time you mentioned would not have been long enough to penetrate through both the emulsion and artex in one application.

Also we do say on the instructions to cover the area prior to removal. When you are scraping softened artex from a ceiling it is bound to fall to the floor, and is a messy job like all types of removal.

We do recommend using a long handled blade scraper which does make removal easier but if you had applied and covered with plastic film and left overnight it would have softened through the entire substrate and made removal much easier.

“Happy Artex Removal”

Written on: 20/02/2014 by katfra50 (1 review written)

Bought this product after getting a few quotes to skim over the two rooms I have covered in awful artex, and the cost was too expensive. I searched the internet and came across X-Tex on Twitter @homestrip and saw an interesting article on the safest way to remove this lovely stuff!  I did a test area first and covered it with foil and left overnight. I then removed the foil and the surface was soft. I was not convinced until I scraped the surface and it came away quite easily and left what… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/10/2013

Persuaded by the video and a series of good reviews I bought this. It is ok to apply but does not work! Left it 2 hours...nothing, overnight...nothing, reapplied another coat....nothing. Have resorted to using a steamer. I feel like I have wasted 25 pounds and made a whole load of mess too. Im half way through and losing the will. Wish I'd just had it skimmed over. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!… Read Full Review

Written on: 01/11/2013

Really sorry to hear you have had problems using X-Tex, but after reading your comments are you really sure it was artex, or of course the coating that was over the top of artex (all artex has been painted over the years usually with emulsion, but the worst one is vinyl silks)

It was not the artex you were having problems with, it would have been the paint. X-Tex will remove the paint but its not designed for this. DID YOU DO A SMALL TEST AREA FIRST! as is stated on the label?

It also states on the label to cover the area with plastic film if leaving overnight as the product can dry out and stop working. You have not mentioned this.

The other important item on our label is our technical helpline telephone number. Did you call?

“It Worked For Us”

Written on: 26/08/2013 by CraigFearn (1 review written)

I used X-tex on my lounge and though messy it worked for me, remember it gets artex off and not paint!! The ceiling was a stipple effect approx 5mm thick with emulsion on so test an area 1st to see what suits. Cover the floor with cloth and tape down plastic covering on top, use a safe platform to give a safe working height. Use a shed paint brush or a paste brush to hold sufficient x-tex and liberally paint the surface area while wearing protective eye wear, be aware if splash / drips on a… Read Full Review

“Waste of money ”

Written on: 20/06/2013

Followed. The manufacturers instructions but just didn't work - no way does it scrape off like the u-tube clip. Just buy a steamer which is a bit messy but does the job instead and you can always use it for paper later! Beware this stuff does take varnish off though and if a drop of it splodges on you doors it takes the paint off them instead. Don'T waste your money… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/07/2013

Really sorry to hear you experienced problems whilst using X-Tex. Our technical helpline number is on the product label and a call to speak with out technical department could have given you the answers you were looking for.

Most artex has been painted over the years, and this requires an overnight application as stated in our You Tube video. Vinyl silks can also be difficult to remove and tips to this can be found.

The problem with using a steamer is that the artex can dry out once it has been removed and if it contains asbestos fibres then you have a health issue

X-Tex keeps the artex wet at all times preventing any dust becoming airborne.

We also advise to cover the surrounding area with dust sheets or newspaper to prevent floors or painted or varnished areas becoming marked. Surely a common sense precaution when doing any kind of DIY.

“Not bad”

Written on: 09/11/2012 by stevewonderwhere (2 reviews written)

Got this today and applied it straight away. After a few hours I attempted to scrap but it took longer than that to sort the artex. After a few more hours I tried and this seemed to work ok. It's a 50/50 whether I'd do it again or get a professional in I guess… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to stevewonderwhere's Review

Written on: 13/12/2012

Hi Steve
Sorry to hear that X-Tex didn't work as well as you originally thought, but would like to explain that X-Tex is designed to removed artex and textured coatings and of course these coatings have mostly been painted over the years with many coats of emulsion.

This makes the removal time longer and as suggested on our label that this can be done overnight using plastic film to force the product down through the substrate. An overnight process can remove all of the paint and soften the artex in one single application.

“X Tex Artex remover ”

Written on: 22/10/2012 by wardrobeman (1 review written)

Brilliant ! Did small bathroom in a day. Leave on as long as possible, thick Artex will take two goes. Get a sharp rigid scraper then its just physical effort to scrape off melting Artex. So pleased I found a local supplier in Tool Station as well. The jelly like substance will drop on floor as it is being applied so sheet out areas otherwise go for it… Read Full Review

“flawless, easy, fast. X-TEX?... XCELLENT!”

Written on: 27/05/2012

I never write reviews, Honest i dont. I recently bought a new house where ALL the rooms had artex on the ceiling and there was artex on the bedroom walls too. I have kids, so artex on a wall had to go. I was quoted well over 500 pounds to have someone come in and remove it, this seemed excessive, but ive since been told this was reasonable. However having just moved home, i dont really have that kind of disposable income lying around. I seen this particular review site and decided that for… Read Full Review

“Does what it says on tin”

Written on: 24/03/2012

I had artex on landing hall and stairs, I have just started using this product and was a bit sceptical about it after reading reviews, however painted it on left for 30 mins and couldnt believe it off came the artex, it is very messy and have now decided not to use the cheap plastic floor covering as it gets everywhere and can get easily trodden in, so delighted ordering another tin - although expensive would definately recommend it… Read Full Review

Written on: 17/03/2012 by pissedoff12 (1 review written)

I tried this product and to be honest it was a waste of time and I ended up skimming the ceiling with plaster… Read Full Review

Andrewchivers's Response to pissedoff12's Review

Written on: 28/03/2012

Really sorry to hear that you were not happy with the product, but an explanation of what problems you encountered would have been nice, so that we could have given you some tips and talk you through the process.

It is not nice getting negative feedback by someone who wont explain why or how they had problems, and to have a user name like you have is not very clever either.

Written on: 06/07/2011

I really wished I had discovered this product as after having a room skimmed over costing a small fortune i could have saved alot of money with X Tex. Okay yes its messey but what isnt and its sure cleaner than using a steamer! I had to leave this on overnight to soften the paint that was coated over the artex but it did this no problem at all, but after doing a small area first soon realised I had to cover it with plastic film. This then just came right off with a blade scraper right back… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 22/08/2011

After the artex has been removed, what kind of state is the ceiling left in? Would it need a slight re-skim?
Many thanks

Guest's Comment

Written on: 08/03/2012

Is this product available in Canada? Or can I get it shipped to Canada? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

“In the past I used X-Tex on several ceilings and walls...”

Written on: 08/04/2011

In the past I used X-Tex on several ceilings and walls in my house. I found the best way was to paint on the gel then cover the area with sheets of polythene to keep the gel moist and leave as long as possible. The thick areas of artex I left like this overnight then removed the artex relatively easily using a six inch, very sharp bladenext day. Yes, it is messy, expensive and time consuming but it certainly did the trick for me and was the most effective of all the other methods I used… Read Full Review

“I am currently half way through removing the Artex...”

Written on: 26/03/2011

I am currently half way through removing the Artex from the kitchen ceiling. I have come to the conclusion that removing Artex from a ceiling is a job from hell and that X-Tex is a Devil's must. A Devil's must because of its stupidly expensive price tag.

The idea to remove the Artex was a daunting prospect but would like to share my views and idea to make it more bearable. Measure the ceiling dimensions and split into a grid of equal sized areas; tackle the ceiling square by square, it… Read Full Review

“I brought this product today and applied as the...”

Written on: 15/02/2011

I brought this product today and applied as the instruction state. After an hour I tried to scrap artex off and it hadn't made any difference so I sprayed with water as gel had dried slightly but to effect. In the end I have resulted to steamer and very hard work. I wasted my hard earned money on two tubs that did exactly nothing… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/12/2011

Really sorry to hear you had problems with our product, but after reading your comments I feel that you probably didnt leave it on for long enough. Artex that has not been painted over would have come off almost straight away, but commonly it has been painted many times with various types of emulsion.

We always recommend to try a small test area first as every job is different. Cover the test area with some plastic film and leave overnight for best results. Any blistered paint will lift the product away and stop it working, so forcing it down with plastic film is a great tip.

Also if you think you might have vinyl silk we recommend to cut the surface lightly with a blade prior to appying X-Tex as it can then get underneath and lift the plastisiced paint away from the surface. Removal using a long handled blade scraper is also a great tip.