Nikon N65 Review

paulyb.'s review of Nikon N65

“(The Nikon F65 35mm SLR camera is sold as the N65 in...”

Written on: 29/06/2002 by paulyb. (1 review written)

Build Quality,
Simple controls,
Superb lens range,
Excellent value.

Lack of spot metering.

General Comments
(The Nikon F65 35mm SLR camera is sold as the N65 in the US). After using a Pentax P50 for 15 years, I thought it was time for an upgrade. Looking at the £200-£250 budget, it really came down to the Minolta Dynax 4 or 5, Canon Eos300, Pentax MZ-6, Nikon F55 or F65. Admittedly I bought many magazines and read a number of reviews, and Nikon F65 did not seem to fair well against the opposition. Lack of features was a major let down. But, when I handled all the cameras, the Nikon won hands down. My old Pentax is one of the most fiddly cameras around, and that was the standard by which I judged. Minolta and Canon have astonishingly good displays and viewfinders, but the plastic toy feel and numerous button pushes put me off. The F65 however does as much as is necessary for great prints. Twinned with Fuji film and a polarising filter, the camera performs superbly. The F65 takes knocks well and makes picture taking a pleasure. I respect Canon and Minolta for producing high spec kit, but for me, taking pictures is a buzz and capturing moments is the key, I think Nikon does this better than any other.

105977_Robby.'s Response to 29690_paulyb.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

The reviewer might also have mentioned that the typical life on these cheap AF wundercameras is about two years. Lots of plastic and a low pricepoint does not equal longterm reliability.