Dansai 952 (Tesco) Review

Floaty.'s review of Dansai 952 (Tesco)

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The main reason for me buying a Dansai 952 DVD player...”

Written on: 31/05/2002 by Floaty. (1 review written)

Easy to set up, the player was up in minutes. Wide range of formats supported. Region hack. Good audio/visual quality considering price. built in decoders nice to see at this price

Manual was awful. MP3 player decided on two occasions to chop up my tracks into pieces. This led to transistion delays. I have had two of these machines now and found that all CD audio disks start playing at 37 SECONDS! Why should this be? Tesco tech support said that there were no known issues with this player.

General Comments
The main reason for me buying a Dansai 952 DVD player was the sheer range of formats it played. MP3, CDR and CDRW, VCD (not mentioned on box) CD and DVD of course. The price was right and the built in Dolby Digital and DTS only sweetened the deal. Fortunately the player is region coded- defeatable via a handset hack I found on www.dvdreviewer.co.uk. I was dissapointed that after auditioning two machines from my local Tesco, it had a great job playing my (protected) Star Wars AOTC soundtrack. Very poor. If a disk will not play, you must power it down completely before it will play another disk. All CD disks on my 2 machines started playing around 37 seconds. A bad batch perhaps? These things aside, it is a brilliant player. I may just go back for a third attempt. Watch this space.

27609_Floaty.'s Response to Floaty.'s Review

Written on: 13/06/2002

Well, a third machine proved to have identical faults (30+ second start, won't play my protected CDs without a lot of coaxing). I now have a Limit 8072 which seems to be excellent but almost half the price again. I'd still reccommend the Dansai to anyone if they can put up with the problems I have described.