Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Review

• Sharpness

Meloquin's review of Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom

Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom

“After looking to add to my D3000's factory bundled...”

Written on: 21/05/2011 by Meloquin (4 reviews written)

After looking to add to my D3000's factory bundled 18-55 lens I was initially looking for a 55-200 motorised lens, but found there to be a Nikon AF-S 55-300 lens available, perfect I thought, I could reach the 300mm my now redundant (no internal motor in Nikon D3000) 70-300 lens gave me, but without the 55-70 gap.

I read numerous reviews, and bar the professional reviews saying that the autofocus was a little 'slow' couldn't find anything untoward.

I have been totally happy with the speed of the focus, even on moving subjects, and the VR (Vibration Reduction) technology makes for a nice stable image - meaning you don't always need a tripod, or nearby wall/railing to lean on.

I think the lens 'may' be slow if compared to a flagship camera body coupled with a pro lens taking photos of F1 cars - but I can't compare performance.

The lens is well built, and comes with hood, 2 caps, and a nice pouch which has a reinforced end. - if you're looking to protect your lens you'll need a 58mm filter. It's quite a length, protruding from the front of the camera body by a little over 5" - so take this into account with your current camera bag - I can't use it with a Lowepro Rezo 140.

I purchased the lens from an online outlet (Simplyelectronics - great service, great communication, and fast delivery) for a very aggressive price (this type of product is based on spec's, I don't see what additional service a high street shop can offer for a lens purchase, bar immediate availability - if you can wait 2 or 3 days for delivery buy online and save some money.

I would thoroughly recommend this lens.

• 1 - 6 Months

Time Lense Owned

• Sharpness

Brixhamimages's Response to Meloquin's Review

Written on: 25/07/2011

If you go to a good high street professional camera shop, such as Mifsuds, you can get advice to help you to not waste your money, and you might also find that the price is not much different to other online stores. Also you can touch and compare products, while talking to someone who knows them intimately.