Matchmoor Riding centre Matchmoor Lane, Horwich, Bolton Review

Guest's review of Matchmoor Riding centre Matchmoor Lane, Horwich, Bolton

“I am in my thirties and have been riding since I was...”

Written on: 15/05/2011

I am in my thirties and have been riding since I was eight. I have ridden at many different riding schools over the years and I have never been to one as good as Matchmoor.

Their horses are home bred (they have a Fell stallion and several different types of mares they breed from). This means that all the horses are trained in the same manner and the staff know them extremely well. Obviously they are all very different and have their own personalities, however, they all respond to the riders aids in a similar way.

Some people have commented that the ponies can look grubby and the stables seem cramped. This is because most of the horses live out all year. Horses who live out need oils and dirt in their coat to help keep them warm. It would be cruel to groom them thoroughly them turn them outside. The stables are used during the day to house the horses inbetween lessons. When in the stables the horses have ad-lib access to hay which adds to their very natural lifestyle. As a result the horses at Matchmoor are very happy and this is evident when you ride them.

I can only comment on my instructor but she is outstanding and has improved my riding so much.

There is no indoor school which means in winter conditions can be tough and lessons are sometimes cancelled. The school is on GreenBelt land and this is why.

The lessons and hacks at Matchmoor are excellent value and much cheaper than other local riding schools. I believe this outweighs the fact their is no indoor school.

They also run regular competitions and the hacking is great. From an experienced rider I recommend you try it!