St Moritz Instant Self Tanning Mousse Review

• Quality of Colour

• Durability

Guest's review of St Moritz Instant Self Tanning Mousse

St Moritz Instant Self Tanning Mousse

“I'm naturally super pale and use fake tan products on...”

Written on: 04/05/2011

I'm naturally super pale and use fake tan products on a regular basis. I've pretty much tried every brand out there, and when someone reccommened St Moriz, I had to try it for the 2.99 price tag.

I found the tan fairly easy to apply, it's a dark brown colour so you can see where you are applying it on your skin (USE A MITT OR GLOVES, my sister didn't and she had bright orange hands). When I first applied it it was very patchy and blotchy, and I began to panic. However I decided to stick it out, and a few hours later I noticed the patches had settled and I looked very brown all over. I was very dark, so I expected a nice, deep colour when I washed it off. However, I was dissapointed the next morning to see it all dissapear down the plug hole. When I came out the shower, I had a SLIGHTLY deeper colour, but nowhere near as dark as I'd liked. So the same night I applied another layer, and washed it off the next morning. This time I achieved the exact colour I wanted, a golden brown, not orange or that horrible yellow-jaundecy colour some tans send you. However no matter how much I exfoliated and mouisterised, I'd always end up with my elbows, knees and ankles being much darker than the rest of my body (which my boyfriend frequently pointed out!). Howwever, I was really happy with the results and decided to carry on using it on a regular basis.

After using it for a few weeks I noticed that my skin was becoming incredibly itchy and dry. I have always had sensetive skin but it got to the point where I'd be out and I'd have to return home because my legs would be itching so badly. I noticed a rash appearing on my legs and I had begun to develop sores on my back and neck, and breakouts of spots on my face/neck. A friend who used it also complained that it dried her skin out.

Another disadvantage of this tan is it's terrible smell. It has that vile distinctive fake tan smell, which both scented body lotion and perfume together didn't cover. Some tans you can only smell it if you literally put your skin to your nose, but with this I kept catching a whiff of it throughout the day (something else my boyfriend commented on!).

Another thing with this tan is it's extremely difficult to try and remove. Two days after use my skin begins to go patchy (again, no matter how much I moisturise). After a good 20 minutes scrubbing I still have tell tale patches on my knees, ankles and neck. Eventually I just got frustrated with this product and returned to my moisturising gradual tans, as they're much better for my sensetive skin.

I would recommend this product, but not for regular use. Out of all the fake tans I have used, including St Tropez and Fake Bake, this has the best colour, which makes it a very good buy for 2.99. However it's disadvantages outweigh this, and though I still have a bottle in my cupboard for the odd night out, I tend to stick with other brands now!

• Quite a few times