Stephen King, It Review

bacchanale's review of Stephen King, It

Stephen King, It

“I have just finished reading this immense novel for...”

Written on: 25/04/2011 by bacchanale (1 review written)

I have just finished reading this immense novel for probably the fourth time and each time, I end up reading the last few lines over and over, sitting there with goosebumps all over my body; I can't quite believe - don't want to believe most likely - that the journey King has dragged you through has finally ended. Yes it's a long book and yes there are possibly one or two passages that could have been either shorter or even left out, but no other book I have read, even other King books, has had so much impact on me; your mind is there with the kids at the start and then with their adult selves as they try to put an end to an un-imagininable terror. Character development, sense(s) of time and eras are spot-on and the technique of having a character's thoughts in italics woven into the dialogue all work to create a modern-day - well 25-year-old which is nothing in literature - masterpiece and a book that not only lives long in the memory but jumps into your thoughts without warning and drags you back to the dark places that no adult, let alone child, should ever have to experience for real.

• Hardback