Hyundia HY3000SI Review

PeteGolfer's review of Hyundia HY3000SI

“We live at the end of electricity spur line. So when...”

Written on: 14/03/2011 by PeteGolfer (11 reviews written)

We live at the end of electricity spur line. So when there's a problem we're the last to be reconnected. We've had 'outages' about twice a year for several years but last year it was much worse (5 times). So I decided on a backup generator which was big enough to light and heat the house, run the TV etc, had a big enough tank to last ovdernight if necessary and quiet enough to not be annoying.

Having bought an electricity usage monitor I decided I needed a minimum of 2500 watts. The choice of generator then came down to the Hyundia HY3000SI and the Yahamha EF3000ISE).

They offer similar (quality) power levels, similar noise level and tank size. But the Hyundia cost £700 whilst the Yamaha cost £2,000.

I went for the Hyundia!

I've had it six months now and used it three times (once to check everything out and twice based on necessity).

The good points - the machine is nicely styled, about the size of a suitcase and light enough to lug in/out of the garage. It is quiet in operation, produces electricity of a quality to allow you to run a PC if desired and automatically revs up/down to produce the electricity required (lower requirement for electricity means lower petrol usage).

The bad points - rather rediculously, when you close the choke off the lever disappears into the outer cover meaning when you want to start it next time you have to prise the choke lever out with a screwdriver (irritating to do by torchlight). It is a pull start which, whilst it's never let me down (I start it once per month to keep it in readiness), sometimes take me a dozen pulls or so before it fires up. This is okay for me but I don't beleive the wife could get it started and, I'd like the petrol tank to be a bit bigger (on a full tank it will run for 4-5hours at full capacity or 11 hours if you don't want electricity!).

In summary, a good machine which does what it claims and offers excellent value for money over any other 'quiet' petrol generators, but they really should sort the choke lever out, increase the size of the petrol tank and add the option of an electric start. Then it would be very, very good.

Guest's Response to PeteGolfer's Review

Written on: 27/05/2011

Hi glad you are for the most part happy with your HY3000Si. Take a look at the new HY3000SEi Inverter Generator I think it adresses some of those minor niggles you have.