La Tasca Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

JTBUK's review of La Tasca

“My partner and I took our daughter here today and I...”

Written on: 06/03/2011 by JTBUK (1 review written)

My partner and I took our daughter here today and I have to say the place is shambolic. We were using our Tastecard which took a 'tiny' bit of sting out the experience, in that we only had to pay for 50% of PART of our order. Drinks and everything we ordered that was not on the 'Tapas to Share' menu were charged at standard prices. The manager (I use this term very loosely indeed) showed us to our table and was very rude in how he quickly explained the terms of using a tastecard, in a voice loud enough to have been heard by people outside.

Our 3 drinks arrived 1 in a filthy glass, 1 in a chipped glass and the other seemed ok. We had the filthy glass replaced but the waiter overlooked bringing fresh ice and lemon too, I think he wanted us to use that from the filthy glass! Our food arrived and the garlic bread was worse than the packet stuff you can buy in supermarkets, it may have had a shoe print on it because it certainly looked and tasted as though it had been trodden on. Our food arrived and the portions looked like samples in a supermarket promotion. (whether this was because we were using a tastecard I'm not sure) Some of the dishes were only warm and none of it tasted very nice at all. It certainly didn't resemble Spanish tapas or represent Spanish cuisine very well at all. Maybe the slogan 'Spain is closer than you think' should read 'Our toilets are closer than you think'

The general professionalism and level of competence in the place was as bad as it gets. Badly managed unhappy staff led by a manger in his 40's with a huge chip on his shoulder. If I was a director of the company that owns the place and i walked in and witnessed the whole shabang, I would fire them all on the spot and start again from the ground up.

I shudder to think what the kitchen hygiene is like, given the state of the glasses, the food and the general attitude in there. The only thing I would say is that the customers gave it quite a nice atmosphere.If the food was cooked properly and with the correct ingredients then served by professionals as opposed to young kids who are still at University and earning extra money at weekends (at least that is how it comes across to us) then it could potentially be great place to dine.

We dine out frequently and we do very much appreciate a good dining experience, something which is getting harder to find in this day and age.

Would we return to La Tasca ever again? I think not is the answer there!!

• Under £5

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Quiet/Refined