British Shorthair Review

lycheelover's review of British Shorthair

“Got a British shorthair for myself from a Licensed...”

Written on: 04/03/2011 by lycheelover (2 reviews written)

Got a British shorthair for myself from a Licensed breeder about a year ago. This type of cat is adorable, regarless of the color (tiger, smoke, black). I couldn't find a kitten like in the Whiskas commercial , so I settled for a darker tone, same tiger-like pattern and named him Markus.

Markus was very intelligent, but quiet at the same time. He meows if he absolutely must, otherwise he'll just communicate with you non-verbally. He doesn't like to be held, he will just sit in your lap or next to you and purr his way to sleep.

The only downside is that this breed is fairly sensible to illnesses. Mine had some issues with his kidneys, while a friend's has runny eyes due to a fungus she inherited from her mother.

So do check twice before buying/getting a British Shorthair.

Britishbluelover's Response to lycheelover's Review

Written on: 16/11/2013

Oh yah...I got mine from the pound. This is my second Britty. Mine however has a talent of being able to growl and purr at the same time. Interesting how this cat was "surrendered" to the pound and "traded in" for a kitten. His crime?... the former owners got a new kitten and the Britty and new cat did not get along. So, the Britty got kicked to the curb. He was only a few hours away from being executed for nothing more than being a typical British Blue. I adopted 'Wellington' (this is his new name...he had to have a proper British name) knowing that he disliked being held, and growled when picked up. So please folks be sure that you can deal with their cattitude before adopting. I hope this posting will keep one more Britty from being sent to the pound. I would never give him up. My first Britty is going on 19 and she doesn't like being held either, but, she is not crabby like Wellsie is. If she wants to be held, it is on her terms, and she will lay in my lap. They all have their own personalities, and each is an individual. This will continue to be my favorite breed, and I will continue to have them for years to come.