Nokia 6310 Review

• Reception

• Style

Jon.'s review of Nokia 6310

Nokia 6310

“My laptop runs Win XP so I can't even comment on the...”

Written on: 15/04/2002 by Jon. (1 review written)

Bluetooth and Infrared connectivity. Voice recording. Voice command. Battery lasts for days. Vibrating alert.
Can set ringtones as message alerts.

A little large, but then I'm used to the 8210. Not compatible with Windows XP yet. Rather expensive, but probably worth it, and I'm paying by contract, so it was only about £100 up front.

General Comments
My laptop runs Win XP so I can't even comment on the infrared data link on my Nokia 6310 mobile phone because XP isn't compatible with the 6310! An update should be available on the Nokia website by the end of April, so that's not too long to wait.

The voice recording is fun, but not very high quality, although there is a useful related utility: You can attach an alarm time to the recording, meaning that you can have an alarm go off and then be prompted to listen to the recording.

The voice command system is good too, you can make the phone switch to any of the ring profiles (general, silent, etc), turn on infrared, go to voicemail, record speech and go to the call register menu, just by speaking into it (after holding down the "names" button for a second or two). The only downside to this utility is that it is quite a bit slower than using the buttons to get there, the processor in the 6310 is fast, but not that fast, and let's face it, it's a mobile phone, not a PC.

The battery really does last a long time, I have had my phone on for nearly 4 days and I've had about 30 minutes of calls, several text messages, and the battery meter is down to two bars out of seven! That's lithium-polymer cells for you. My 8210 battery lasted 2 days on standby if I was lucky.

This phone strikes me as a "business" phone, which is why I was surprised to find that you can download more games onto the phone by GPRS.

I'm not really into games on phones, but I do like to customize my phone. My 6310 came with the PC Suite version 4.5a, which I believe is the lastest version. An impressive piece of software which goes way beyond the standard set by most other bundled software.

The Bluetooth connectivity looks to be the most exciting addition yet. I have my eye on the headset, but at about 300EUR it's way too expensive at the moment. Nokia say in the manual not to leave the Bluetooth connection active when you're not using it because it runs the battery down quicker than if it's left on standby, but if you do have the headset then surely you'd want it to remain connected at all times. This is a phone that is paving the way for things to come.

• Reception

• Style

32963_Paulie.'s Response to 19457_Jon.'s Review

Written on: 13/08/2002

The infra red data link is compatible with xp - I've no problem using the PC Synch software, etc. The problem is with the modem driver which is not compatible with xp.

33142_Nic.'s Response to 19457_Jon.'s Review

Written on: 14/08/2002

I've had 0 problems with my 6310 under WinXP. Worked first go using IR without even installing the Datasuite!!