Venture Inn, Ombersley Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

paule23's review of Venture Inn, Ombersley

“We had a lovely evening at the Venture In in...”

Written on: 06/02/2011 by paule23 (1 review written)

We had a lovely evening at the Venture In in Ombersley. On arrival we were greeter by a roaring fire and relaxed on a sofa drinking a cool G&T whilst choosing our meals. There is a set price for three courses, including coffee and petis fours, so no worries abut choosing an expensive option. I had Chicken Liver parfait to start, my better half had what she described as "square sausage and poached egg', obviously the menu called it something different! Both were lovely.

This was followed by monkfish for the missus and seabass for me. Again, very lovely food, although I found my dish just a touch salty, probably from the ham and pea accompaniment. All washed down with a very cool, very dry Sancerre.

All this was followed by a creme brulee and a marscapone mousse. A very light mousse with some excellent biscuits. The brulee was accompanied by small biscuits that tasted like a cross between a stale shortbread and a bread roll, the only miss of the evening.

Even the decaf coffee had a good bit of bite and was piping hot. A waiting taxi meant I could not sample the excellent sounding XO on the menu, next time perhaps.

The Venture In is not cheap, including service and wine we paid £130 for a meal for two, but it was definitely worth it for a birthday treat. We will be going again.

• Modern European

Food Type

• £5-10

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Intimate