Vistaprint www.vistaprint.com Review

elevation's review of Vistaprint www.vistaprint.com

“Firstly I'm reviewing Vistaprint.co.uk not the .com...”

Written on: 31/01/2011 by elevation (24 reviews written)

Firstly I'm reviewing Vistaprint.co.uk not the .com domain - as they do have a separate UK url.

First thing to say about Vistaprint's outrageously misleading claim, and indeed stated "1 photo wall calendar : 99p" is that no, 1 photo wall calendar IS NOT 99p. I fell for this piece of false advertising (which I believe is illegal) via a Vistaprint leaflet included in the packages of my christmas purchases on Play.com. What you actually end up paying is about £12 !! Not QUITE the "99p" for 1 calendar that their leaflet very clearly states. Their postage is as everyone already says : utterly outrageous. You pay around £8 for a piece of cardboard. In an age of environmentally responsible packaging that's not a negative thing. But when sites like Play.com charge you nothing at all for a piece of cardboard then it starts to look a little bit like fleecing. You also get charged a couple of quid just for a colour background for your calendar pages.

But none of this covers the main thing you want to know about : the quality of the photo reproduction (considering you're actually paying about £10 for your photo calendar - about the same price as a glossy, very professionally produced calendar you would buy in a shop). "Glossy" and "very professionally produced" can NOT be said about Vistaprint. Yes they do give you the options to adjust your photo on every page. But the problem is, you shouldn't HAVE to faff around with that, when all you want is a calendar of your own photos to give as a gift to a loved one, or for yourself. The framing and alignment of about half of my photos on the calendar was appalling.

I used a 10.1mp Panasonic Lumix cam with a 12x optical zoom for all the photos I submitted. Some of the shots came back looking like they were taken with my 2001 Olympus 1.3mp cam with 3x zoom. And for some of the shots, such as one with a cloudscape, there was absolutely no excuse for the sloppy reproduction which looked more like a blurry oil painting than the actual photo I had submitted to their site.

I would never recommend Vistaprint to anybody, and nor will I use them again. Very poor, sloppy quality, and for the extortionate prices they ask there is absolutely no excuse for this. No wonder they won't let you cancel the order once placed - first time custom is the only custom they're likely to get.

Avoid.