Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Beats Solo HD RED Special Edition ControlTalk Review

• Sound Quality

• Comfort Level

lukeromeril's review of Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Beats Solo HD RED Special Edition ControlTalk

Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Beats Solo HD RED Special Edition ControlTalk

“I am a lucky guy, as this Christmas I received two...”

Written on: 31/01/2011 by lukeromeril (54 reviews written)

I am a lucky guy, as this Christmas I received two pairs of Dr Dre headphones from different people, both the Tour in ear headphones. So, when I mentioned I got the same pair, I was offered the chance to exchange them or return them. I opted for exchanging for a set of Beats Solo HD RED Special Edition High Definition On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk, as I do a lot of video and audio editing at home, and these would be ideal once it gets late and speakers would irritate other people. They are also compact enough to use commuting.

So, when they arrived, I was very impressed, once again (see my other review for the in ear headphones) the packaging is superb, designed to impress from the start. Opening the box oozes quality, with any documentation stored in the left compartment, and the plush case and headphones stored in the right compartment. Opening the case reveals the headphones, and what a sweet site. The red design is outstandingly good looking, so very well made. Upon putting them on, you notice before even turning on the music that they cut out a lot of outside noise, and turning the music on is a joy. the frequency range is so expansive, the bass very defined, and treble strong but not overpowering, and changing the EQ on my iPod demonstrated how versatile they are, reproducing the audio in many forms. I stick with flat, as these give a true rendition of how the music was produced, an supposed to be heard.

the fit is comfortable and not too tight, I wore these pretty much the whole day I got them. I was working and listening to my entire iTunes library on random, and so heard a vast array of genres, and when 11pm came round and I stopped, although my ears where fairly warm, I was in such a good mood from a fantastic musical experience.

My next test was commuting to work, around 1 hour 15 mins. I don't often wear large headphones in public, so was a little conscious of them. After a few minutes, I was unaware for the rest of the world, immersed in some rather rhythmic funky house music (at a level that wouldn't annoy other commuters) and I couldnt hear a thing outside, perfect!

As these are the control talk model, they come supplied with two cables, one with iPhone control, and one without, allowing you to get rid of the inline mic should you not require it with other audio equipment, a nice touch, and reassurance you bought a good product.

The price is high, but having been through various stages of "buy cheap, buy twice" scenarios, I was planning to buy these, and time will tell if they last, I hope so, as they are seriously good.

WARNING: On the beats by Dre website, they mention there are a huge amount of counterfeit versions for sale online and they supply a blacklist of sites to avoid, I suggest checking this before purchase, or risk getting a poor quality copy. Amazon are a licensed seller, and have some good deals on these, so I would recommend them.

Happy, again :)