Contax T3 Review

Al.'s review of Contax T3

“The slides I've taken from this Contax T3 35mm compact...”

Written on: 12/04/2002 by Al. (1 review written)

Extremely good lens, sharp and contrast both.
Nice features.
Very Small.
Focus down to .4 meters.

View finder needs more eye relief for eye glass wearers or
diopter correction.

General Comments
The slides I've taken from this Contax T3 35mm compact camera are as good as the ones on my F100 with prime Nikon pro lenses. The exposures are great. I don't do a lot of indoor pictures but the flash has perfromed well for family shots in the living room.

The camera is very small and you have to learn to hold it and not block the focus port or lens barrel. The view finder is hard to see edge to edge with glasses on. It is fine with glasses off. Since I don't have to visusally confirm focus I take my glasses off as I do with the F100. Diopter correction is missing for some reason. My wifes Konica Lexio 70 at $129.00 has it.

The auto focus has been critisized by a few people. Once you understand how it works it seems flawless. The system is passive and needs contrast and vertical data to focus. If you want to focus on a horizontal line turn the camera 90 degrees, half press shutter (or use AFL) then reframe and shoot. The focus assist light allows focus in a dark room. The Auto Focus Lock (AFL) button has an undocumented feature. Normal focus uses an area about 5 times bigger than the focus circle in the center of the view finder. The AFL button provides spot focus limited to the focus circle area. A great feature.

The shutter speed only shows a broad range. It is better than nothing however.

I use the custom feature to cause the lens to focus when I press the shutter to one half. This reduces shutter lag when taking the picture. It resembles my F100 in single focus mode this way.

This is a very high quality camera (pro level) with useful features. I no longer have to make the decision of whether size or picture quality is important when deciding which camera to take. With my old P&S camera this was always a consideration and I ended up lugging the F100 when I really didn't want to.