Celestion Ditton 44 Review

• Sound Quality

Guest's review of Celestion Ditton 44

Celestion Ditton 44

“I have been lucky enough to have owned Celestion...”

Written on: 14/01/2011

I have been lucky enough to have owned Celestion Ditton speakers for the past 25 years starting with a pair of 25s purchased in Abu Dhabi. These have been shipped all over the world and still sound great (if a little bassy) today.

However, I recently spotted two pairs of 44s on the internet and managed to buy the job lot (which were in excellent condition) for a very reasonable price and now have spares to last a few years!

The 44s have been installed in my loving room and are being driven by a Williamson Ultra-Linear valve amp the music source being a Onkyo CD unit (using self-burned vinyl FLAC CDs). The sound is absolutely incredible - precise treble and mid-range and just enough bass. I use Diana Krall "Body and Soul" as a test source and you can place the piano, guitar, bass and drums to and incredible degree.

Comparing the 25s and the 44s is difficult but overall I have to say the 44s take the prize but only just (possibly 5 stars versus 4.5). Both are great speakers and providing you have enough space (neither are exactly compact.....) I would recommend either model if you are lucky enough to find them at a reasonable price.

• Sound Quality