Wharfedale CRS9 Review

• Sound Quality

Guest's review of Wharfedale CRS9

“Ive had these Wharfedale CRS9 for 12-15 years! I am...”

Written on: 13/01/2011

Ive had these Wharfedale CRS9 for 12-15 years! I am currently using them as my front speakers for my current home theater system.I'm running a 100 watt x5 Denon receiver rated at .05 distortion. These speakers are still amazing! Warm bright, punchy, clean, durable!

I did blow a mid-range speaker a few years ago but I got it re-coned and they haven't missed a beat since.

I am a musician and audiophile and I cannot imagine what it would cost to replace these speakers today... $1200-$2000.00(CAD) at least! Dont know why i would want to?

I also have some small Wharfedale bookshelf speakers as my surround speakers. My daughter stepped on one and I went out looking for a replacement for $200.00(CAD) which is what I paid for them but everything I listened to was messy and not as clean... so I got the speaker fixed for $75.00 They are still going today after a decade of cranking them up! ok i like to play loud... I'm an electric guitar player...

Final recommendation: These are awesome speakers and they will probably last until i die... seriously.. I am going to replace my center channel speaker which is about 8 years old and I will be checking out the Wharfedales!

• Sound Quality

• Over 1 Year

Time Speakers Owned

Fejinwales's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2015

Hi there, I'm the one who wrote that they were devastatingly expensive. I found out that until last year I had owned this pair of speakers for 20 years. To my disbelief one of the mid-range drivers packed up. I don;t know why, they were never stretched or under-powered but I was devastated.

I immediately went online to look for a pair with absolutely no hope whatsoever of finding any - but for the second time in my life as far as these speakers are concerned I had a great spell of luck.
There was a guy in Sussex selling an immaculate pair, with the brochures and everything. He had bought them from a bloke who had bought them two years later than I had bought mine from the same village that he was from but then had moved away, and a recent new relationship had his new wife demanding their removal because they were black and they were big. The guy who was now selling them saw them, bough them and the guy selling them drove up from Cornwall to deliver them not trusting couriers.
The guy who was now selling them asked questions of me which I answered with pictures of my set-up, my existing speakers and the stickers on the back (original line and not gold). He then told me it was not the money, he just wanted them to go to a good home. He said that if I collected them (I live in the Rhondda, South Wales), I could have them for £100!
I rented a car and drove up - collected them and drove home. 10 hours driving and boy was it worth it.
I hope in your search for a second pair you will be as lucky...I found my new pair on ebay!