Veissmann Vitodens 100 Review

Guest's review of Veissmann Vitodens 100

“I bought a Viessman Vitodens 100 Compact in September...”

Written on: 07/01/2011

I bought a Viessman Vitodens 100 Compact in September 2008 and it has been entirely satisfactory. I understand the early ones were not so good, and the newer ones are even better. It is essential to have it installed by a Viessmann-approved person, trained by them (free). There is a list on their website. That way you get the 5-year parts and labour guarantee. If you are putting it on an old heating system, you are very likely to have a lot of dirt, rust, sludge and sediment in it, and it is essential to have it thoroughly cleaned before the new boiler is fitted. This alone took two men more than half a day in my house. You should also consider having a Magnaclean or Spirovent fitted, these are devices which trap residual dirt out of the water and prevent it causing blockages or wear. Avoid a cheap quote where the installer has to cut corners to make a profit.

I chose the 100 Compact (heat-only boiler)with a hot-water cylinder rather than a Combi, because it is extremely simple and has very few parts to go wrong. Combis are generally not as reliable, whatever the maker. It has a stainless steel heat exchanger which will not corrode and has a 10-year guarantee. It is also very small and quiet.

Mine has never gone wrong, which is what I would expect from a premium German product.

It has been much more economical than my old iron Potterton boiler. In summer it uses half a metre of gas a day, the old one used 1.1 metres. In a very cold year it uses 1300 metres of gas; the old boiler used 1800 metres.

Written on: 03/07/2012

This sounds suspiciously like a promotion rather than a review????

Written on: 22/10/2012

Im wondering the same thing, I work on the railway but don't spend my time on review sites telling people how wonderful the 9.15 to Birmingham was in response to someone saying that they were stuck for 5 hours and the service is poor.

I simply cannot believe that all these installer come home after a hard days graft and get on the internet just on the off chance someone has bad mouthed the same make of boiler they have installed today!!! i can't see why an installer would even be looking at this site. It makes no sense at all. All i can say is beware of these recommendations from installer and people who say they have owned a Vissmann boiler for 5 years and it makes them tea in the morning. Again why are they on here they don't need advice on a boiler. Rant over im just off to write a review on my 9 year old dishwasher!!!

Dannyrichards2013's Comment

Written on: 13/01/2013

quite simple, if your an installer and you hear people giving a bad review about a product you know for a fact is very good, why wouldn't you want to add your opinion?
Sounds like you need to make up your mind and choose a boiler. If all reviews are biased and not installers why you bother coming here?

Written on: 24/01/2013

I did Dannyrichards2013, I chose and installed a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28CDI around June last year and it has been fantastic. It heats my house up in around 15 minutes and gives me instant hot water, and when I say instant I mean from the second I turn that tap on. (I still haven't worked out how it does this)

Even though I would marry this boiler as I'm truly in love, I still have not had the urge to rush through the front door of my lovely warm house, get on the internet and profess my undying love for Worcester Bosch!!

As far as I'm concerned I paid a good price for the boiler, it preforms better than expected but that is reflected in the price. If I heard someone speaking bad of a Worcester Bosch, it wouldn't urge me to get on the internet to put the world to rights as I have no other interest in them, I don't own shares in the company I just happen to own one.

But seeing as you asked I came on here to find out about Viessmann Boilers around this time last year.

Pimlico Plumbers used to install them as their preferred choice. They have a very high standard of workmanship but stopped installing Viessmann Boilers. I asked them why they stopped installing them and got no response. In hindsight they really couldn't respond because I could have been a friend of a disgruntled customer looking for information.

my boiler was on its last legs and I originally wanted to install a Viessmann Boiler I had to find out why Pimlico Plumbers stopped using them. Now I have found out I need to look no further than a Worcester Bosch.

Of course you could be completely right, and Viessmann Boilers could be excellent boilers, but in my experience If you have a good experience with a product you will tell on average around 2 or 3 people, and only when asked. If you have a bad experience you try to tell the world, which is the case of this review page is exactly what has happened.

I just found it amusing that all installers on here rated this boiler highly, considering this is how they make their living, and all customers or end users hated the boilers They are on here to tell the world of their bad experience. If bad things happen to good people, they in turn try to stop that bad experience from happening to others.

If I am going to spend over £1000 on a boiler, why take the chance on the word of someone who installs it rather than someone who has to live with it and use it daily.

Written on: 29/01/2013

Note as an installer who could fit any make boiler ,.I spend most of my day repairing boilers of every make some good some bad ,based on my vast experience in repairing boilers I am sad to say that some of the worst that I come across are English ,Including Worcester ,most are over 5 years old and are a nightmare to work on ,parts expensive etc. The others at my company who do the installations of new boilers ,ALL of them have now fitted Viessmann boilers in their own houses as have I ,and YES we did have to pay for them at normal rate. No dont work for Viessmann but if installed correctly these boilers are one of the very best on the market.Still what do I know 48 years repairing and installing boilers???.There are other good boilers Vaillant ,Glowworm (owned by Vaillant) Vocera are all quite good.

Written on: 30/01/2013

My original question still stands. Why did a high quality and successful company like Pimiclo Plumbers stop installing Vissmann boilers? Surely it makes good commercial sense to install a boiler you don't have go back to? Even if you have to reduce your profit margin you would come out ahead on fewer return visits and improved reputation. If someone from Pimiclo plumbers would like to comment it would be appreciated, but i do suspect they won't be reading this because they will all be busy installing boilers rather than defending them.

Written on: 30/01/2013

Some of the larger companies ,smaller ones as well,use cost as their prime concern ,we also get offered better deals and yes we could make more profit , lot dont even make a visit if a boiler goes down , 9 out of 10 simply call manufactures if under warranty ,
I only came on this site because a customer said he had read bad reviews ,and I can see where he was coming from .However as with all sites of this nature probable for every 1 bad reviews there are maybe 100 who are happy with there boilers etc ,so never even think of writing . We gave this customer a long random list of our customers(all who allowed us to do this upon having their boiler installed) so he could ask any one of them their opinion of Viessmann boiler ,not sure if he followed it up but has placed an order .
Like I said there are a few other good boilers about ,but not prepared to take a gamble solely for extra profit and maybe not so happy customers ps.We are maybe like Pimiclo very busy ,I start at 6am finish at maybe 7pm but I still find time to make inquiries to help customers make the right choice and answer any questions .

Aceflyer's Comment

Written on: 19/03/2013

Am I right that Viessmann have only been making domestic boilers for a relatively short time, so can any one give an objective view over a few years. I am thinking of replacing our Worcester combi boiler because it is proving unreliable. It is the discontinued 28 CDI RSF model and has stopped producing hot water although it still gives hot water with the central heating. I am told it is possibly the diverter valve. We have only had it for 18 years and in that time it has had the pressure vessel re-pressurised about 3 years ago. Needless to say we will be re-placing with another Worcester, the only reason is that we are not repairing is that the new condensor boilers are more efficient and can produce instant hot water. I think that with a guarantee of 5 years and a good service contract I won't worry for a while. But if I am still around I will try to follow up in another 15 years or so.

Stuart66's Comment

Written on: 17/10/2012

i'm wondering how many good reviews are coming from viessmann staff ... i've yet to meet anyone that has a good word to say about these boilers

Written on: 29/01/2013

Thought I better reply ,we have over the last 4 years installed over 400 Viessmann boilers and can honestly say the call out rate has been remarkably low maybe 5or 6 in total .All were up and running within 24 hours .NO I DONT WORK FOR VIESSMANN and could install any boiler on the market if I wished to. If installed correctly then there should be no problems .Viessmann have given us every backup although that has not been needed often. Main problems we have had is with other badly installed boilers fitted by others so called installers who dont want to know when they play up .Viessmann quite rightly cannot accept responsibility if they are incorrectly fitted hence we get involved as we have been trained to install and repair.AS with anything in life you can get faulty ones and its normally these are the ones that people take trouble to write about.