Sony BDP-S370 Review

lukeromeril's review of Sony BDP-S370

Sony BDP-S370

“I have held off getting a Blu Ray player for a while,...”

Written on: 07/01/2011 by lukeromeril (54 reviews written)

I have held off getting a Blu Ray player for a while, mainly because I couldn't justify the high cost of a player that also required £20 per disc. Now the prices are far more competitive, I started to look around. I do like Sony products, and as they created the format, I decided to start there, and the search didn't take long.

after finding the s370, I read the spec and was already very interested. It had received a 5 star 'What HiFi' award, as well as several others. The price was around £170, but shopping around you could find prices as low as £100.

Key features that drew me to this model are the network connection, allowing playing media stored on other devices, including memory card, hard drive and pc. This also includes a wide variety of codec, such as divx, mkv, mpeg and avi. The network features Sony's Internet TV, a superb example of TV and Web becoming unified. It allows you to view You Tube, BBC iPlayer (including BBC HD programs) Qriocty (Sony) and a variety of others. It offers music in much the same way, as well as Gracenote, the service that retrieves information from the disc in the player online.

With the addition of a USB memory stick, you can utilise the MovieIQ feature, which allows you to download info about the film you are watching and review it mid-film, great for people like me who like to pause and discuss while pouring another glass :)

A lot of people dismiss this player for one key reason, the wifi. this unit does not come wifi ready, it needs an optional wifi dongle, and that is not a reason to mark this players rating down. if you want built in wifi, you need to purchase the more expensive unit, that's the way things usually work, you want more, you pay more. I don't agree with Sony's price (£70) for the dongle, and you must use their one, no other wifi dongles will work. This is a bad move, but it's not relevant to this player, as many players do not have built in wifi. So, I connect mine directly to the router to get maximum speed for watching online HD content. Done

You can download FOR FREE the Blu Ray control from Sony for you iPhone (and maybe others?). This connects via your network and allows you to use your phone to control all aspects, this is brilliant when browsing YouTube, as typing on a remote control is annoying, typing on an iPhone is awesome! It also displays film info on the iPhone so it becomes a fully integrated and interactive controller.

I purchased the player from HMV for £150 with 3 movies, which was a great deal, They also offered the player for the low price of £109 in store! that's a pretty good price considering it's not just an online price.

If you want an affordable, feature rich Blu Ray player that connects to online media ports, your home network videos and music, integrates with iPhone and looks great, you could do a lot worse.

NOTE: if you are preparing for 3D content, go for the 470 or 570 as these are 3D ready with a future update where as this one isn't. I decided against paying more for that as I won't be upgrading my awesome TV anytime soon, and when I finally decide to, I'm sure Blu Ray players will be faster, better and more advanced than this one. So there you go, a cracking product for a cracking price. Happy :)