Epiphone AJ100 Acoustic Guitar Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Guest's review of Epiphone AJ100 Acoustic Guitar

Epiphone AJ100 Acoustic Guitar

“I got this guitar for Christmas 2010, so I don't know...”

Written on: 29/12/2010

I got this guitar for Christmas 2010, so I don't know the price payed for it, however, they range online from about 50 (second hand) to 80 (brand-new) pounds.

To put it as blunt as it is, this guitar is near-enough the best instrument you will be able to get in it's price range. I've been playing it for a few hours each day since Christmas now, and it has completely exceeded expectations. For a start, I was able to play the guitar fairly easily straight out of the box, the neck was entirely straight, and the action was surprisingly low, being an acoustic. (not to say that I wouldn't adjust it a little more, but still, its fine as it is, especially for bedroom musicians, or beginners.)

The finish is a nice natural colour, but this is I suppose a really common feature, hence the four stars, but it does come with a with real nice grain all over the body. The fingerboard is made of rosewood, whereas the neck and body are made of mahogany. The back of the neck is fairly glossy, though, and this can occasionally get nerving, if you're like me, and play on really smoothly finished maple electric necks. However, the sound really makes up for this.

The sound is phenomenal, and was a pleasant surprise to say the least, when I first played it. It has a real bright mid-end and high end, for those little fiddly solo parts in songs, whilst still being able to maintain a lovely warm, but crisp low end, for chords, and rhythm sections. I also think the strings that the guitar comes loaded with sound and feel nice, and for the first few days, give that real nice "wipe" sound, which, I think EVERYONE loves. I really love to play rhythm AND lead on this guitar, as I think it handles both brilliantly. It is also relatively versatile, even though it is an acoustic. The harmonics on this guitar are also fantastically audible.

The guitar is also built very well, and seems to have a few years and a bit of life in it. I can't really comment on this very well as I have so far owned the guitar for 3 days, so I can only assume, but from feel, and look, I can tell you that the guitar seems built to last for a decent amount of time.

Overall, I would just say that despite the measly price tag, do not be put off, because I think this is one of the best acoustic guitars you can get at all, let alone in its price range. I'd recommend this to both the beginner, and the experienced guitarist, because it really is a beautiful sounding instrument. Particularly its nice warm low-end.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard