Microsoft Kinect - Xbox 360 Review

• Addiction Level

• Graphics

reviewkitten's review of Microsoft Kinect - Xbox 360

Microsoft Kinect - Xbox 360

“Microsoft's Kinect is, in my opinion, overpriced for...”

Written on: 07/12/2010 by reviewkitten (295 reviews written)

Microsoft's Kinect is, in my opinion, overpriced for what it is. I recently spent an afternoon at a friend's house and they had just bought the Kinect along with the new Xbox 360. Now their lounge is quite slim so we had to move the sofa out of the way to get enough playing space (about 6 foot away from the sensor). We played several different games, Kinect Sports, Dance Central, Kinect Joyride and Kinect Adventures. The sensor seemed to pick us all up fine and only needed adjusting for the tallest amongst us (it couldn't pick up his arms).

The graphics are pretty good, nicer than the Wii and the Kinect games all use your Xbox avatar. We all got a good workout as we jumped, swung and moved about the room but on some games the sensor had problems understanding (the discus for example kept ending up getting thrown behind our player's backs...). We kept laughing at the playback videos as we looked pretty silly but I had thought from all the adverts that you would actually see yourself whilst playing the game and not afterwards. We found that the sensor got a little confused if you had too many people nearby so really you need a nice big lounge to happily play (oh and high ceilings too! Be careful with your light fittings).

My major problem with the Kinect is not that it isn't fun. It is. It's not that you don't get a really good workout. You do. It's the limited scope of the games. Kinect really suits active sporty games but I mainly play FPS or RPG. I can't see how I would enjoy walking on spot as I explore new areas in the game or use a weapon. Kinect is perfect as a party game accessory and you'd have hours of fun competing, but on your own it would become tiresome pretty fast.

I'm not sold. Until I can see how this fits in with my everyday game playing, £150 is a lot for something that feels a little gimmicky. If you're not sure try it out at one of your friends first. If you love the Wii then this is a big step up both in graphics and sensitivity and worth buying. If you're not a huge fan of party games then wait and see what titles they release next year before you take the plunge.

• Graphics