Cineworld Review

• Choice Of Films

• Refreshments

Guest's review of Cineworld

“Every time I have been to Cineworld something has been...”

Written on: 29/11/2010

Every time I have been to Cineworld something has been wrong. Generally it is the quality of the service; it is normally slow, ungracious and quite frankly unprofessional. I queued for nearly 40 mins one day for a film, it wasn't a long queue but there was only one person serving while a manager sat in the next booth/till teaching a new member of staff how to work everything - don't get me wrong, I know everyone has to learn etc etc but at a peak time probably isn't the ideal moment. I have to give the teenager who was serving everyone credit for keeping his cool and finally telling his manager to put the training on hold and serve (this was after two other staff members had wandered into the ticket area, cashed up a couple of floats, looked at the queue and wandered out again - not to staff the very slow moving refreshment area though, I wonder where they went?) The cinema itself is quite nice and fairly new but the snacks are rubbish; the popcorn tastes stale and the cheese with the nachos tastes like vomit (sorry but it does - they have managed to ruin my guilty cinema treat)

Good Points - Well, I like that they have booster seats for smaller children and that they are located in the centre of town so if you want to eat first or go for a drink afterwards you have plenty of choice but seeing as I have to drive to the cinema anyway, I may as well go to the Empire which is much more on the ball.

The final straw? Online booking or at least specifying where you sit. I decided to give them another chance because we're going out in the town centre for dinner and it's easier to go to Cineworld than drive out again to Empire (seeing as we're already going to be parked in town) As it is the service that annoys me most I thought I would book in advance so I went online to do that. The booking system is fairly simple and easy to use but you can't choose you seats and as it is a new release and I'm booking in advance I'd like to make sure I don't have to push and shove for a seat. But no. So I called to book and went through the automated booking process (no option to speak to a person) to be fair it worked well and was quite quick (even though it charged me 10p a min!) but again no option to pick seats. I was fed up by this point but decided to have one last go and called Customer Service, i didn't hold for too long but was told that all but 5 Cineworlds operate on an unallocated seating policy, if I want to pick my seats I need to queue. I explained that the queues at my local Cinworld are fairly slow moving and was told that I could book in advance to avoid the queue. "But not pick my seats?" I asked "That's right" I got cheerfully told "But at least you won't have to queue" I don't think she quite got my point.

Well, that's my moan over. It's a shame, Cineworld could be brilliant but they just seem to not follow through on their promise.

• High Wycombe