Venice Review

glenc's review of Venice

“Stunning. Absolutely stunning. ”

Written on: 18/11/2010 by glenc (310 reviews written)

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

My wife and I had wanted to go to Venice for many, many years.

We finally got round to it and I must confess I was ready to be let down as I had such high expectations after all the images, films and other media we had consumed about this City.

We were not disappointed

It's a stunning City. Everything you expect it to be.

On the negative front, and they are all entirely outbalanced by the positives, it is a tiny place and some of the main squares and areas can become quite crowded (we went just out of peak season so it was OK - but it was still reasonably busy so I can imagine in peak it could be a shocker).

It was also very expensive to eat and drink.

But, that aside, what a place!

We visited a couple of the other islands, Murano and beach area (the Lido I think its called).

The beach area I could take or leave - its not much different from other beaches, so why go to Venice for it? However, Murano is definitely worth a visit - very, very chilled out and laid back - a lovely quiet old village where you can have a meal and a drink and watch the world go by.

Venice is so jam packed with history and things to see that you wont get bored if you're there for a week or so.

Some of the restaurants are a bit rip-off price wise, but others are wonderful rustic Italian places - so do your research before you go.

We will definitely be going back as it was one of the best short breaks I've ever had (probably the best).

• May 2006