Written on: 25/10/2010
I'm amazed so many people can use the net to complain about this tv, but cannot use the net to find the free fix, rather than spend £49 on a call out.
The reason the screen 'compresses' on the sides is that the CRT controller chip is set for a smaller model, and when it gets reset by a power surge or similar, it comes back on as a 24" picture on a 28" screen.
I gave this TV to my mum after I bought my 42" Plasma, and I have showed her how to fix it, and she is in her 70's!
Ok, to enter service mode;
1. switch the tv completely off using the power button on the Tv, not the standby button on the remote.
2. open the flap on the front of the tv which hides the volume buttons, and you should see the middle one is labelled m (little raised black m on a black background)
3. Press and continue to hold in this M button and switch on the TV using the power button. The red standby light will come on. Now press the red power button on the remote.
4. The TV will come on in service mode. NOW RELEASE THE M BUTTON. Using the directional buttons on the remote, look for vertical amplitude "ver amp". It'll probably be on a value of 1A. The right size (for my tv) is 2B. select this, then press left or right a few times to get horizontal amplitude, and stretch the tv out to fit the screen using the directional buttons.
5. This will fix your tv, but to SAVE your new settings, roll your finger on the remote across the yellow and blue buttons, and back again until the green writing on the screen disappears.
6. if you cock up the settings, go to "init" setting and press right to put all settings back to the beginning again.
7. Do not mess around with the parabolic settings, horizontal/vertical shift, or text brightness, trapz, corners, etc unless you understand what it does.
" Solid product well made " Read More
" I've had the TV for 3 years. I've never had a single problem with ... " Read More
" I hear you. My W280NS went snap, crackle and pop yesterday morning ... " Read More
Written by mikeian
" This was the first Sony that I have ever owned, after buying and re... " Read More
Written by Effardy
" The Toshiba 28Z23 is easy to use, self tuning or can be tuned manua... " Read More
Written by derbycam