Costa Review

• Quality of Service

gary harper's review of Costa

“Can Costa Coffee explain how their gluten free...”

Written on: 11/10/2010 by gary harper (1 review written)

Can Costa Coffee explain how their gluten free chocolate brownie contains wheat?

As a coeliac I find this confusing and dangerous for my health.

Please explain !

I asked the staff in the outlet but they were unable to explain.

• Quality of Service

• glasgow central station

Location

Jomckenzie's Response to gary harper's Review

Written on: 19/12/2010

Hi Gary,
<br/>
<br/>I am not Coeliac but am gluten and wheat intollerant. I purchased this brownie yesterday and halfed it with my husband. Half way through eating it I discovered it had wheat starch. To answer your question, they "wash" the gluten out from the wheat and put the starch which is left into the brownie. It is therefore safe for Coeliacs to eat but not people with a wheat allergy/intollerance. I have eaten Lifestyle gluten free bread before and was ill within an hour of eating it, and when I read the ingredients it had wheat starch, but still gluten free. I hope this helps. I am going to write to Whitbread and complain about this. I'll stick to Starbucks, at least their products are clearly labelled.

Guest's Response to gary harper's Review

Written on: 14/06/2011

Yeah me too, I was amazed to see the Gluten Chocolate Brownie ingredients list read contains Gluten!!! Wheat in the ingredients... I am puzzled never encountered this before...