Panasonic NV-DS27 Review

Amazon Customer.'s review of Panasonic NV-DS27

Panasonic NV-DS27

“I have just bought the Panasonic NV DS27B digital...

Written on: 23/03/2002 by Amazon Customer. (1 review written)

Excellent cheap DV camcorder

General Comments
I have just bought the Panasonic NV DS27B digital camcorder from Amazon, and it has exceeded all my expectations for such a cheap digital camcorder. I have enabled DV-IN on mine very easily... It works a dream connected to my PC using Pinnacle DV Studio.

It works exceptionally well in fully automatic mode, but all the manual overrides are there if you need them. One feature I did not expect was 'motion sensor', where the camera goes into standby mode until it detects motion. It then records until the picture is static again. I have found this brilliant for capturing birds feeding on my bird-table. I am also amazed by the quality of the sound recording.

Do not be put off by the 'tubbiness' of this camera. It is very easy to hold and control. My wife is also very keen on it and is already contemplating her own projects with it.
This review copyright Amazon

Devonjohn.'s Response to 16818_Amazon Customer.'s Review

Written on: 08/05/2002

It is fair to say that this camcorder, the Panasonic DS27B, is better than its newer replacement(s). Not only is it optically better with 15x as opposed to 10x, but it has the colour viewfinder, not the B&W one now found on the newer 29 and 30 models. True it is heavier and larger than its replacements, but it is also better made with higher quality plastics. Unfortunately one thing the 27 does not have is an "In DV" facility to allow in camcorder editing - but who ever finds time to do that anyway? :) The Dv out to video recorder is simple to use with the mini remote and the DV studio to my pc for the stills images is also a doddle to use - even if it is not a replacement for a 1MB+ digital camera. The digital effects are actually quite useful in moderation and the only feature I miss is a titling mode found on my old Sony. Battery use is ok but zooming really cuts it down. 2 or 3 major zooms and a standard battery is gone in 10 minutes. Limit your zooms and you may get 30 minutes - only use the viewfinder and you will not only get better more steady pictures but 40-45 minutes out of the battery. All in all if you dont mind it being bigger than a maychbox, this is a good camera that is now really good value available at around $600 / £400.