Woods Brasserie, Cardiff Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's review of Woods Brasserie, Cardiff

“My wife and I don't often get to have dinner out...”

Written on: 05/09/2010

My wife and I don't often get to have dinner out without our six year old, so we were looking forward to a special 'table for two' evening, and Woods certainly delivered for us. The menu is possibly a little fish-heavy, but we were able to choose a balanced meal from the wide selection on offer. The menu was printed on a sheet of A4, so I presume it must change from time to time to keep it seasonal. At least one chicken dish would be our request as lots of people don't eat red meat.

Ice cold Pinot Grigio in hand, I started the meal with a dish of roasted scallops with small watermelon balls, an apple sauce vierge and a hazelnut salad. My wife had a robust smoked salmon, served with beetroot, celeriac, capers and watercress. The scallops were not the most flavoursome I have had, but they were beautifully sweetened by the way they were cooked and, overall, the dish was tasty. The salmon was generous and very tasty, as was the choice of breads and Welsh butter that accompanied our starters. The complementary mojito sorbet that followed was delicious.

Our main courses of rib eye steak with a Perl Las blue cheese butter and slow-cooked lamb rump with a moussaka parcel were splendid. Once I had waded through the forest of rocket and onion salad that bedecked my steak, I found it to be well seasoned, generous and perfectly cooked. My wife's lamb dish was the star attraction though. It was a clever dish, which packed lots of flavours and was delicious. The Argentinian malbec which accompanied our meal was good.

We finished with a light pear and almond tart, strawberry and basil creme br l e and coffee, which were all lovely but unnecessary really as we were both full. All in all, we had a great evening. The restaurant was busy and welcoming, with a varied clientele. I would have liked the tables-for-two to be little more spread out as I could hear the lady next to me more clearly than my wife sitting opposite, but that is a small point. I felt the bill was fair at £112, but £22.50 for a ribeye is perhaps a little over-priced. But the best test is to ask would we go back again? Absolutely. We are just looking for a suitable celebration to warrant splashing out.

• Modern European

Food Type

• £10-15

Average cost per head

• Once or twice a year

How often do you eat here?

• Lively