Malorie Blackman, Noughts & Crosses Review

Guest's review of Malorie Blackman, Noughts and Crosses

Malorie Blackman, Noughts and Crosses

“This book is set out about a girl called sephy and a...”

Written on: 30/08/2010

This book is set out about a girl called sephy and a boy called callum, sephy is a cross, and callum is a nought. And yes this is quite a racist book, and its set out about the western countries and how it used to be like, well kind of. It is also been said to be quite like Romeo&Juliet. I didnt think so myself personally, but some others do. This book is meant to be the nice one out of the series but is by far the saddest book I have ever read in my life, and dont know if I could even bear to try and read the next one which is meant to be the revenge one. The story plot is very long but basically everyone is against sephy& callum being friends, so they have to sneak out. And then bad things start happening to both familys but particually Callums. My favourite character in this book was callum, but it tore me apart when you read the suffering he went through. His sister commits suicide, his dad dies, his brother goes missing& his mum is getting very upset.

Another major thing that turns everything is when a bomb goes off, quite early on in the book.

In this book you might begin to think that everything will be happy, because of the amount of suffering that has already occured, but you are wrong. One thing that happens 10 seconds too late changes everyone lives, and especially theirs.

The ending however made me cry&cry&cry. At first I thought it was a joke at what happens to one of the characters for no reason, but the ending is very harsh, very very harsh. Personally I think that this bit was the saddest in the entire book by far. The characters have to make a choice, and I think one makes the wrong choice, but the one that dies, dies as a hero. I will always remember that character who I am not going to name :L

I thought I would write this because I wondered if anyone else had read it or heard of it, because it is for 12+ so i figured alot will be able to read these books.

This is just the first book I have explained about, but there is now 4 books and a novella which complete the whole thing.

The author Malorie Blackman is merely trying to tell us about things that can happen, what it was like, the usual. But I think her level of explaining comes at a different depth to anything I have ever read. Usuallly I dont even read much, but this book drew me in, because I had to read on to try and get the happy ending, but wow. Its very suprising what happens at the end.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the real tough life, & anyone who is ready to read this story but feel pain.

I have to say it is a very very good book, but im still not sure whether to read the next one or not.

The reviews are meant to be very good aswell, thats why i got the book. Even though this book is very sad I am going to give it 5/5 10/10 100/100 merely because it is one of the best books i have ever read in my life.

And im also going to say no, im not very good with sad things, and you are probably thinking that if you read the book you wouldnt cry, you are wrong. If you dont cry at the ending you have a heart of stone. Seriously.

• Paperback