Canon AE-1 Review

• Photograph Quality

Andrew Brown.'s review of Canon AE-1

“I bought this Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera a few years...”

Written on: 20/03/2002 by Andrew Brown. (1 review written)

Strong steel body, VERY water Resistant
You don't have all these electronic menus to flip through like on new cameras

Only one, the battery door

General Comments
I bought this Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera a few years ago used back in 1999 I believe. My father actually has one that he bought new when they first came out. Anyway I use it everywhere! I am very much into Outdoor Photography and this camera seems to be indestructable! We live in a very cold climate and have extreme weather conditions ranging from -35 - 40 celcius to (for a few short weeks)+30 in the summer! This camera is like a ROCK with it's old school metal body design and the ability to change any setting in an instant. It takes great pictures! Just check out my website for a few as mentioned above! Every photographer I meet always talks about how good a camera the AE-1 is! It deffinetly has to be one of the best cameras ever manufactured!

Moderntech.'s Response to 16503_Andrew Brown.'s Review

Written on: 21/06/2002

My first Canon A series had an awful squeak when triggered. Canon would NOT repair these under warranty! Although camera shops have adapted a shutter fix for some serious change, (out of your pocket!) The battery door is horribly designed and executed! The cost of this repair alone will generally set you back $90.00 or so. For just the price of that repair you can purchase a good used camera that won't set you that far back on repairs and you can pocket some change as well! Note: the repaired battery door will fail also. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE metal, manual, precision 35MM cameras. But these cookies are like a black hole that you keep sinking money into, (Unless you don’t mind taping up the front of your little prize.) The used Canon lenses and accessories are on the expensive side and offer little over other quality manufacturers. All in all, I'd pass on these and purchase something more reliable with more reasonably priced lenses/accessories.