Garmin nuvi 1340 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

rhaines72's review of Garmin nuvi 1340

Garmin nuvi 1340

“Brought in July 2010, this is my first Sat Nav and...”

Written on: 19/08/2010 by rhaines72 (1 review written)

Brought in July 2010, this is my first Sat Nav and overall I found it worked reasonably well, although it does have some key failings that I was very surprised to find in one of the latest models at this price.

Firstly, it did not find my home address - an inner city apartment building that has been around for 30 years - luckily I know where I live so not a major problem for me personally but does not bode well for me finding other similar locations.

Secondly, the full postcode search does not recognise the fact that you may share your post code with other addresses and, instead of bringing up a list of addresses to choose from (like some internet sites would) it goes straight to the map and guesses (sometimes incorrectly) which one you may want - on several occasions selecting somewhere several streets away - not very accurate. I would advise using the "full address" search if you want to knock on the right door.

Several other niggly points but one worth a mention is the so called "Points of Interest" section. In my opinion this is not comprehensive enough, completely missing some very large chain stores, not having a section for doctors surgeries, and even missing a massive supermarket store less than 1 mile away even though it had been their for 5+ years (suggesting the nearest one was several miles down the road (I was relying on this during a 2 week holiday in the UK so this became annoying).

On speaking to friends with several years experience owning sat navs, it appears these features are better found elsewhere. I am in the process of trying so return this to Amazon in exchange for another brand/model but so far they have sent me exactly the same model (naturally with the same failings) in exchange for the old one - not very helpful, but will persevere.

• UK & Western Europe

Area Covered

• None

What extra features are on this model?

• Clarity of Instructions