Dudley Zoo & Castle Review

Guest's review of Dudley Zoo and Castle

“I went to Dudley Zoo for the first time when a was...”

Written on: 28/07/2010

I went to Dudley Zoo for the first time when a was about 9 or 10 years old and I ended up so upset that we didn't even walk all the way around the zoo. Although I was only a young child at the time I was still more than aware that the zoo was dirty, poorly maintained and the animal's enclosures left a great deal to be desired. I distinctly remember looking into a concrete pit at the penguins and becoming increasingly upset when I noticed that their water supply had dried out and had clearly been that way for some time. Needless to say, Dudley Zoo did not leave a very good impression on me.

Last year I decided to give Dudley Zoo another go as it had been 11 or so years since my last visit. I presumed that within such a long time the zoo owners and keepers would have had the decency to improve not only the zoo's appearance but also the welfare of the animals it is supposed to be looking after. However, I was very wrong. Within the space of 11 years there has been no improvement what-so-ever. The Zoo is still dirty and the entire place looks like it needs a serious make over. Some area's looked like they hadn't been repainted since my last visit!

The enclosures are FAR too small to house the animals comfortably and even though it is a listed site that does not mean that this should be an excuse for poor animal welfare. It is obvious to anyone that the animals are not in any way benefiting from anything at this Zoo. If Dudley Zoo is a protected site they should find another use for it and re-house the animals to a bigger, better suited environment.

I will certainly not be returning to Dudley Zoo until some serious changes are made. It makes a disgrace of animal attractions.

• Summer 2009

Date of visit (month/year)

• All ages