Guild D-25 Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Guest's review of Guild D-25

Guild D-25

“I bought a Guild D-25 (rose/cherry) in 1968 at Manny's...”

Written on: 07/07/2010

I bought a Guild D-25 (rose/cherry) in 1968 at Manny's on 48th Street. It cost $125, which was 2 months rent back then. (2 months rent now-2010- in Manhattan/NYC would be 3-7 thousand dollars)

It has a sound so responsive and beautiful- rich on the bottom, bells on top, otherworldy sustain/overtones- it's better in my opinion than the old Gibsons or Martins because it's more mysterious (the G's and M's are balanced and even and perfect, but there's a mournfulness to the Guild). I always try new strings but always return to LaBella Silk 'n Steel.

I am clumsy idiot and have beat the guitar to heckandback-- but it is perfect-- despite several nicks and scratches. I had Schallers put on in 71? I think, and haven't had it set up since then. It plays EASILY, the action is low, the neck is a little narrower than the other brands mentioned.

I notice that it sells for 900-1900 these days, and relative to rent, it seems worth it to me. The guitar likes to be played, so if it sits idle for a long time, you have to play it back to form.

It's NOT the most comfortable thing in your arms; it cuts the forearm in an awkward place (for people with shorter arms anyway... I'm a girl). That's the only negative thing I can say about it.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard

Guest's Comment

Written on: 16/01/2012

I have a cherry d25 with serial number 06728 from hoboken, new jersey on the label. Does your label have the same location?