Sunsport Saltwater 46 lbs electric Review

noisepolice's review of Sunsport Saltwater 46 lbs electric

“I bought the Sunsport Saltwater 46 to power a 3m...”

Written on: 05/07/2010 by noisepolice (1 review written)

I bought the Sunsport Saltwater 46 to power a 3m inflatable boat in coastal waters and estuaries.

The 46lbs thrust motor was cheaper than many less powerful saltwater units on the market, yet it is of the very highest build quality. Having a battery life indicator is a very useful feature. The motor is easy to use. It has 5 forward speeds, which increase exponentially, the first four being variations on 'very slow', and the 5th being quite reasonable.

It pushes my 3m inflatable with 150kg on board (Two smallish adults and a 20kg battery) at 3 - 4 mph (2.6 - 3.4 knots), which is a very pleasant cruising speed on a busy river.

On high speed, my 110ah leisure battery lasts 4 hours.

In all, I am very very impressed with my purchase. I cannot report on long-term reliability yet, but the first few trips with it have been extremely pleasurable. It certainly draws jealous glances from other boaters phutting noisily along choking on 2 stroke fumes as you cruise silently by.