Winchester Super X3 Field Review

Guest's review of Winchester Super X3 Field

“I have had nothing but problems with my Winchester...”

Written on: 22/06/2010

I have had nothing but problems with my Winchester Super X3. From day one out the box it wouldn't cycle shells. Its completely random. I have seen $300 shotguns work better than my $1000 SX3. Nothing more frustrating having a bird get up in from of you and your gun failing to cycle a shell. I have sent it in once and they told me nothing was wrong with it. I am in the process of sending it back to them. DON'T BUY ONE.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2011

Don't fell bad, you're not the only one to me suckered. Here's my review I sent to another writer on this site.
About the Winchester SX-3. It's not the great gun most people think.
I think this follow has hit the mark on this gun. I can't believe all the good reviews on this gun. I bought one, Winchester had it more times for repairs than I had it to shoot. They offered to buy it back from me, but I said send me a new one because I love the way the gun looks and feels and though it was just a fluke . Well I got the second one. It came sopping with oil all over the receiver, I took it apart, found shared of metal all over the inside of the receiver, cleaned it and examined it for damage. I found the back of the aluminum receiver being hit by the steel bolt, just like the first gun. Being left handed I changed the safety to suit a lefty. I took the gun to my trap range just to check it out. At the 27 shot the gun malfunctioned, just like the first gun, the trigger became jammed, the safety wouldn't move and I had to get off the line. I cycle the gun by hand several times and pushed on the safety until it moved and finally the gun was working again. When I got home I disassemble it to find a piece of metal in the shape of about a 3/4 of a circle and less than the thickness of a hair, also the scoring at the rear of the receiver was becoming worst.
Winchester originally offer to buy the gun back the first time, I'm calling them on Thursday because the person I have to speak to is on vacation. Two guns, same problems. There were other problems with the first gun, but I'm not going to get into it here, these are the serious ones. Making a gun with an apparent aluminum receiver with no buffer to protect it from a steel bolt is just plain stupid. Anyone who says this gun is great has either not shot it much or just knows little about guns. I'm keeping the photo's of the damage to the gun and will be spreading them across the Web if Winchester doesn't come across with the money. This gun is pretty, but it's not dependable, I put it in a class with some of the worst engineered guns I have even seen, Anyone reading this please take this warning and stay away from this gun. I bough this gun for goose hunting, It's hard to hunt with a gun and enjoy yourself when you don't know if the gun is going to shoot or not. If you're stupid enough, as I was, bring another gun along. Foul me once shame on you, foul me twice shame on me. I'm the foul and I guess I'm paying for it with all this grief. No more guns with aluminum parts. By the way, as the aluminum is eroding where do you think the metal is going, you guested it, down into the trigger mechanism. I forgot to mentioned this, close examination of the trigger showed gouges in the trigger where it contacts the safety.

If anyone is interested in seeing the photo's of this brand new gun with only 51 shots out of it you can email me your address and I'll be happy to send them to you. It would be my pleasure to save someone all this money and saving someone from making an awful mistake as I did.

Lou