James Herbert The Rats Review

DRAYTON26's review of James Herbert The Rats

James Herbert The Rats

“My dad first got me into James Herbert novels when I...”

Written on: 09/06/2010 by DRAYTON26 (1 review written)

My dad first got me into James Herbert novels when I was about 19 or 20. And now at the age of 26 I have nearly got the whole collection but only read the first book which is The Rats, I have also started on the second The Fog.

Here is a short review which should give a feel of the book.

By an old house there was a disused canal. Forty year old homosexual Henry Guilfoyle was drinking himself to death after he had been a successful salesman and was ready to become an area manager at the Midland Paper company and after failed romance with (boy Francis) one of his trainees. He was sat in the corner which was the old kitchen of the house, then suddenly felt a sharp pain his in left hand. A very big black rat along with others gnawed away at his tendons, ripped away the skin, drank his blood and eats his eyes, their first victim. Other victims were to follow instantly, such as:-

A One Year Old Baby - Karen Blakely

The Dog - Shane

The Schoolboy - Keogh

Forty Nine - Mary Kelly

Errol Johnson - The Station Master

Foskins - The Headmaster

The Rats is a tale of true horror, not bad for his 1st novel and I strongly recommend it.

• Paperback