Air Arms S200 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

mandemerdam's review of Air Arms S200

“I have now owned the Air Arms S200 MkIII for about two...”

Written on: 18/05/2010 by mandemerdam (3 reviews written)

I have now owned the Air Arms S200 MkIII for about two years. I previously owned the Weihrauch HW97k (also a great rifle).

The rifle is quite light (at a push 4kg with the scope) meaning it will not tire you out after carrying it around in the field. The pistol grip makes the rifle very easy to shoulder and keep steady. Also the one piece stock looks great and sits well in the hands. The trigger can be adjusted for different hand sizes but I left mine as it was. The new air bottle can be refilled without removing it from the rifle (unlike the MkI). The black bolt blends in well with the colour of the action and feels solid. It is very smooth in operation.

I've added a 3-9x40 px adjustable scope. Once the rifle was zeroed its accuracy was apparent. I have achieved one hole groupings out to 35 yards and groups no bigger that 1.5cm out to 40 yards (obviously depending on wind ). In .22 a full fill will deliver about 50 or 60 full power shots. The shots are very consistent. The power is very good, I have dropped a pigeon at 43 yards and it died instantaneously. My rifle liked the H&N FTT pellets as well as RWS SuperPoints and SuperDomes, but that may vary I guess. The silencer reduces all the noise down to a whisper.

Some people regard the S200 as a youngsters' rifle (especially the old MkI model). This, in my opinion, is not true. While its compact dimensions allow it to be used by youngsters, it performs and packs just as much of a punch as 'adult' rifles. Personally I prefer its looks to those of more expensive rifles. Moreover, with some changes made by Air Arms quite a few drawbacks of earlier models (such as having to remove the air reservoir to refill) have been eliminated.

I cannot praise this rifle enough. It performs amazingly (not even considering the price). It can shoot very accurately and it is quiet. It is full power and therefore can be used in competitions and pest control/hunting. After using it for 2 years I still have not come across any aspects that I dislike about this rifle. And I have not even tried out the 10 shot magazine accessory!

• Accuracy