The Dog & Lemon Guide Review

Guest's review of The Dog & Lemon Guide

“never bought this but have thumbed it through many...”

Written on: 29/04/2010

never bought this but have thumbed it through many times in newsagents. It rubbishes just about everything and the authors seem to have a particular hatred for anything European. I accept that perhaps much of what is in it is true, but by and large it seems to me that it's just misleading, in that it basically tells you that just about any car you buy is going to give you trouble. Well, I've owned an Alfa (which was reliable, not so much as a Toyota, but then the Alfa was 3,000 times as much fun to drive as a bloody Toyota) and a Peugeot (my current car and has been tremendously reliable, and was excellent value for money), but if I believed this publication I would've avoided both of these models 'like the plague'. If the authors were actually fair-minded and based their statements on actual evidence, the publication would be vastly more useful. If I were to be similarly cynical to the authors of this thing, I'd say that basically they're just out to make bucks by trying to claim to be the only ones telling the no-holds-barred truth, when in fact their giving a pasting to many perfectly good cars for the sake of lining their own pockets.