Alice in Wonderland (2010) Review

reviewkitten's review of Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

“I would only recommend my friends to watch it when it...”

Written on: 23/04/2010 by reviewkitten (295 reviews written)

I would only recommend my friends to watch it when it comes out on Blu-ray or if they can get tickets cheap (Orange Wednesday perhaps). I am not a huge fan of Tim Burton as I feel he churns out the same oddity in each of his films, crazy curly trees, same old music from Danny "hah hah" Elfman and predictably starring Johnny Depp and his wife, Helena Bonham Carter. Enough already.

So onto the film itself. Alice in Wonderland looks good, the 3D is pretty but not as stunning as Avatar and the characters have imaginative outfits, well all but the White Queen. On which point I cannot understand why Anne Hathaway was cast in the role, she pranced around the screen as if she only had just enough breath in her body to stay awake. Back to the film. The story started out well but then disappeared somewhere between tedium and going through the paces. If more time had been spent developing a nice coherent narrative and less on the floaty bits to make the 3D pop perhaps I would have enjoyed it more.

Some good turns from Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman but not enough to wow me.

My advice really is to stick to the original Disney cartoon.

• Johnny Depp