Yamaha Aerox 50 Review

Guest's review of Yamaha Aerox 50

“Firstly, I'll tell you the full truth about this bike....”

Written on: 12/04/2010

Firstly, I'll tell you the full truth about this bike. It's decent to look at (especially my yellow and black), it has sturdy feeling controlls and feels quite robust.

However, you have to understand that after nearly a years worth of all weather usage cracks start to appear in that Yamaha brand image. In terms of speed, it's quite quick at the top end. With a Leo Vince TT pipe de-restricted it was hitting 50mph on a flat and 55mph down hill. It was slow to respond at first then after 22mph it shot straight round to 50. I really had to learn how to ride it and teach myself where the power was to make the most out of it.

Replacing the exhaust was a task in itself and I was lucky that my Dad is handy with the toolbox. Beware of the two bolts as they snap due to expanding and contracting due to the heat. Plus the derestriction process (drilling the cone from the exhaust) was a lot harder than expected.

Furthermore, going over the numerous speed bumps too fast and potholes sneaking up on me concluded in the oil filter frequently falling off. This just requires you to put the pipe back into the black box.

Latest modifications include new brake levers because the old ones weren't clicking in the switches for the brake light properly. The most rad by far though is the addition of my new Malossi Kevlar belt with finally the correct Leo Vince TT rollers. This is because the old belt snapped at 50mph on the way home from my part time job. 60mph comfortably now though, but much smoother reaching it-if a little slower. Down hill easily sees roughly 65 though (it's hard to tell because it goes off the clock). I hope this has been helpful, and in conclusion, a great buy for £600 and £250 for insurance. Even if the new exhaust and extras have added a couple of hundred to that figure.

Memel's Comment

Written on: 23/04/2010

I found this review not helpful because...it is all about modifying the bike. I am about to buy a bike and wish to know how this stacks up in the 50cc class.

Stallardaerox's Comment

Written on: 29/07/2010

you say that after a while cracks start appear but to be honest it is 2002 that a fair few years old. so isnt really helpful when you are talking about an old bike!